that's funny - no telling how many times i've heard that song (i bought the cd when it came out and it still comes on the radio here and there) and had no idea those were the lyrics.

i don't know what to think of that though - hootie even gave dylan credit in the song, but dylan has borrowed lots of lines

i know this line from "Girl of the North Country" is in Simon & G's "Parseley Sage Rosemary and Thyme":

Remember me to one who lives there.

She once was a true love of mine.

was this an original Dylan line or borrowed from an older source?

i want to say i've read that PSR&T is actually an old song that they did their own arrangement of and added an original Simon countermelody to.

I don't think Sleepy John wrote this song. I pulled a couple cd's and an lp with Sleepy doing this song and he does not take credit for it. Some of the other songs had Sleepy as the author or trad. arranged by Sleepy, but neither was noted on this song each time. Bob def. borrows from Sleepy's version though.
I did a bit of a google on this and found it attributed to Lightnin Hopkins or Lowell Fulson. Looks like Lightnin has more connection to it. Either way, it is a a fairly widely covered song.

LouieB