Synthesizer Prelude

Can anyone identify the classical synthesizer music that was played after the lights went down and before the band walked on at the show in Louisville on Sunday night?

It was an awesome show - one of the best of the many I have seen (my first being an instore at Waterloo Records in Austin in 1995), better than their YHF show at the Ryman, and right up there with the classic 'secret Summerteeth' show at Antone's in Austin in '99.

Can anyone identify the classical synthesizer music that was played after the lights went down and before the band walked on at the show in Louisville on Sunday night?

It was an awesome show - one of the best of the many I have seen (my first being an instore at Waterloo Records in Austin in 1995), better than their YHF show at the Ryman, and right up there with the classic 'secret Summerteeth' show at Antone's in Austin in '99.

It's by Isao Tomita, one of the real pioneers of the synth; that whistling melody sound he uses is pretty unmistakable. I think it's from his first album, Snowflakes Are Dancing, which is a collection of Debussy pieces.

If it's the same one they used last night in San Antonio, it might be Satie's Gymnopedies. But I'm not sure. Music school was a loooong time ago.