Hey I'll be in NYC next week too! Good times! I always hit up 30th Street Guitars, Ludlow Street Guitars, Matt Umanov Guitars, and the whole slew of music shops on West 48th Street (a few blocks from Times Sqaure.) A particular highlight on W. 48th is Rudy's...everything else is like Sam Ash and other generics. Manny's is O.K. If you're really into acoustic stuff (as well as tasty vintage electric stuff), hop the free ferry to Staten Island and take the bis to Mandolin Brothers. Its hands down one of the coolest music stores EVER. Tons and tons of nice instruments and they let you play absolutely ANYTHING you want to. Its a little bit of a trip, but so, so, sooo worth it.

socbret- When in Nashville, you can check out Gruhn's Guitars on Broadway, but its not exactly the most fun place to shop for an instrument. Cotten Music on 21st Avenue is an awesome place for mostly acoustic guitars. They're really helpful and nice there. Highly recommended. For electric stuff, check out Rockblock guitars and Corner Music.

For info on all the stores listed above, use Google :-P

Good guitar stores are the greatest!

I always hit up 30th Street Guitars, Ludlow Street Guitars, Matt Umanov Guitars, and the whole slew of music shops on West 48th Street (a few blocks from Times Sqaure.) A particular highlight on W. 48th is Rudy's...everything else is like Sam Ash and other generics. Manny's is O.K.

I will echo everything said above, and also suggest Chelsea Guitars on 23rd street. As far as the stores on 48th street go, its sad to say it, but they are mere shadows of their former selves. Rudy's is really the only one worth your time. Manny's, an institution in the city, was bought by Sam Ash awhile back and is now a dump like all other Sam Ash's. The one saving grace for Manny's is the autographed photos that line the walls of the store. Jimi, the Beatles, etc. Really pretty cool.

My favorite shop, and where I have bought most of my gear, is Matt Umanov on Bleecker Street. Its a little bit of an intimidating store, but the guys working in there have always been really nice to me when I have shown interest and asked questions. And I am no shredder.

I too will be in NYC! Are most of the shops you mentioned pretty cool? As in, they won't be condescending when I ask to play x guitar?

I have always had good experiences at Matt Umanov, 30th Street Guitars and Rudy's especially. Things are more hit or miss at Manny's, Chelsea Guitars and Ludlow. At least in my experience. If I had 3 stores to go to they would be Matt Umanov, 30th Street and Rudy's. In that order. 30th street has lots of vintage and used stuff and is a pretty cool place but may not be worth the trip if you are looking for new stuff.

I've been meaning to buy a new guitar for a while and haven't found one that really stood out. Can I expect to find guitars in a variety of price ranges or more so $1,000 and up?

Without doubt. Someday soon I hope to be doing exactly what you are doing and when that happens I will be going to Matt Umanov's and Rudy's, in that order, if I am looking at an electric. Reverse the order if you are looking for an acoustic.

For Nashville, Gruhn and Cotten are definitely places to hit up. Gruhn has about every imaginable guitar - though they have seem to have thing for Martins. I'm a big fan of Cotten, I live around the block from it and take lessons there weekly. The Guitar Center here has some decent vintage stuff -- probably more than you will find at anywhere but Gruhn and Cotten.