Old UT interview - Critical Mass - 1988

I filmed the Son Volt stuff and did a lot of the stuff on Okemah. I don't like BT for DVDs until someone comes up with a verification for them.

Here's The Primitives doing Smoking Gun (or Do We Care?, depending on who you ask). You'll recognize it as what would become "Outdone":

http://www.urflick.com/scripts/videoplayer.php?vid=1002215

So you are a friend of Jay's I take it.

So you are a friend of Jay's I take it.

More a friend of the family. My brother was their roommate back around 86-89 or so. I guess I've known them all since they were about 14. I'm a little older, I'm between Dade and Wade in age.

I filmed the Son Volt stuff and did a lot of the stuff on Okemah. I don't like BT for DVDs until someone comes up with a verification for them.

Here's The Primitives doing Smoking Gun (or Do We Care?, depending on who you ask). You'll recognize it as what would become "Outdone":

http://www.urflick.com/scripts/videoplayer.php?vid=1002215

Thanks for sharing all this Sticky, you've been a great asset over at JF.net as long as I've been there. Anyway exactly what do you mean when you say you don't like BT for DVDs until someone comes up with verification for them, are you talking about making sure file integrity is maintained during the transfer of files?

Anyway exactly what do you mean when you say you don't like BT for DVDs until someone comes up with verification for them, are you talking about making sure file integrity is maintained during the transfer of files?

Exactly. If you look at a DVD's file structure, you'll see .IFO, .BUP and .VOB files. The .BUP files are unnecessary and the IFO files are very small. The VOB files contain all the video/menus etc. As long as the IFO files are complete, you can burn a "working" disc regardless of having the complete VOB files (they will look complete but might be missing data). When you start a torrent file, it creates files that are the "complete" size (1 GB usually), then fills it in with 256k pieces. It's way too easy to miss a few pieces. When you miss those pieces, it creates artifacts (the blocky things), thus degrading the original. Do it a couple times and you've got a worthless DVD. Jesse works too hard on them to wreck 'em, so I stick to burning from the original and mailing them out.

I learned this the hard way and almost wrecked my share ratio on dime trying to DL DVDs. I once DL'ed over 10GBs for one regular 4GB DVD and still was missing one (256kb) piece. It was weird, it would say that it was complete, then the next time I started up my client, I'd go back to leeching. Just not worth it in my book. It needs some sort of wrapper that can be verified and right now that's not out there.

chris