Dean Wareham & Britta Phillips 4.7.07 Los Angeles CA

last weekend dean & britta played two shows at the silent movie theatre in los angeles. this is just up the street from largo and canters. it was my first time in the theatre. nice place. funny, high, narrow stage. small.

they played mostly tunes from their new album, "back numbers" with a few from l'avventura and a couple of luna treats.

got there for the late show just as the opener was playing. there were a lot of open seats down front so i scored a seat front row center next to a couple of guys.

don't have time to post much in the way of notes, but here is the set list:

-singer sing

-night nurse

-our love will still be there

-words you used to say

-since i lay my burden down (this was wonderful!)

-moon palace

-sunny sun

-knives from bavaria

-you turn my head around (britta belting it out on this one!)

-tiger lily

-strange

-bonnie & clyde

encore:

by request during the first set:

-white horses

-ginger snaps :w00t

-bewitched

ahh, closing with bewitched. maybe it seems like a no-brainer, but it was terrific.

i just love the tone and sound of dean's playing. the entire set i was swaying, and grooving. there were some fab grooves laid down, too. did i mention the omnichord on stage. oh yes. omnichord. now, sitting in a small place in the front, one is likely to be caught in the lights. i did my best not to look too much like a grinning lunatic, but only when i thought about it. :blush

You got one Galaxie500 song ("Strange").....Interesting that was on the set and not, say, Tugboat....which is the one G500 track they played when I saw them in middle March. I was hoping they'd pull out Strange when I saw them...as I missed Luna covering it in the past and I am curious how Dean&Britta arrange it. Britta does, indeed, show some vocal heavy on "You Turn My Head..."

Good show then, happy you enjoyed them in LA.