Spoon at Grinnell 4/13

Well I'll keep it brief for now since I need some sleep and all that.

Anyways. Overall a very good concert. A friend of mine's band from Minneapolis opened (Mouthful of Bees) and did a great job, definitely had the crowd on their side (helps when you're playing the college you're going to I guess...), Driver of the Year played after that, a much tighter set then when they were here before.

Spoon was very solid, like I expected they stuck mostly to their songs the way they appear on the albums, but without feeling dead/devoid of energy. Quite the contrary they seemed to be having a lot of fun. A good range of stuff, I think a couple new tunes (Stardog/Explodo can probably confirm this), the crowd mostly seemed to go for offerings from "Gimme Fiction," but they definitely kicked out a number of older stuff, especially some nice highlights from "Girls Can Tell," I was glad to hear Fitted Shirt and Everything Hits at Once.

Overall, solid. I wish there had been some more just rocking out, but they played well and definitely were better up close than when I saw them at the Pitchfork fest.

Also, nice to see another VCer if only briefly.