I like any number of their songs (some more than others) and all their albums have something to recommend them. I have never "seen" them, but did sort of see them at Pitchfork a couple years ago, where they didn't come across very well, which is not surprising since it was hotter than hell and during the day.

The reason they are not the biggiest band in the world is that some of their work is difficult, making them highly uncommercial.

LouieB

As a live band, they are notoriously inconsistent.

Personally, I've seen that in action.

Only saw them twice, the first time was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. They were amazing; engaging, energetic, fun.

The second time was a self-indulgent, feedback-drenched mess. Boring as hell. Painful, even.

That said, I would see them again in a heartbeat... just knowing what they're capable of.

They're the Band Next Door, that just happens to be one of the best bands in the world: the Bob Newhart of indie rock.

See...that sounds like a good show to me. I love watching Ira go off on the guitar!

I do too, but only for so long. Seriously, it was painful.

EDIT: And I knew that somebody was gonna do that, Oil Can.

Beat me to it too....Painful was the first YLT record I picked up, used at Half Price Books in Cleveland many moons ago. I have wanted to see them in a club for a long time, but the timing just hasn't been right when they were in town. I really enjoy some of their records, but find others less enjoyable and even on any particular album there are great numbers and not as impressive ones.

LouieB