Totally missed this...

BORN INTO THIS - 6.4.2007

As reported last week' date=' Roadrunner has signed The Cult, and we can now announce that the multi-platinum band's forthcoming CD - their first new studio album since 2001 - will be titled Born Into This.

Born Into This is currently being recorded in London with producer Youth (Verve, Primal Scream), and will be released in conjunction with The Cult's imprint label, New Wilderness, this September.

In the meantime, The Cult, led by founding members vocalist Ian Astbury and guitarist Billy Duffy, will embark on a series of European arena shows with rock legends The Who starting June 5th. The band will be adding headline dates and festival appearances along the route, building on the overwhelming reaction to their 2006 sell-out world tour. A U.S. headline tour will follow in the fall.

Stay tuned for much more The Cult news in the next weeks and months...[/quote']

Snippet of the upcoming single:

Cult.single-cover.jpg

Dirty Little Rockstar

I like it...sounds like something off of 'Electric'.

I like how it's a little more simplistic...stripped down...than most of the stuff on Beyond Good and Evil. I don't know why, but i'm really, really stoked for this.

me too, I'm happy to see them back together (not that they broke up, but who knew if Ian would ever come back from that Doors shit)

I keep waiting for a good follow up to Electric. Hope this is it...

I have a soft spot for Sonic Temple...but everything after that was kind of hit and miss. They just went too far in that 'classic arena rock' sound on Ceremony and then too far to the opposite direction on The Cult...Beyond Good and Evil wasn't horrendous, but they seemed to be catering to the metal crowd. Not that I have a problem w/ that, but I always liked how they straddled the line between alt-rock and hard rock.

What's the deal w/ a 10/2 date, other than it being too far out.

I have a soft spot for Sonic Temple...but everything after that was kind of hit and miss. They just went too far in that 'classic arena rock' sound on Ceremony and then too far to the opposite direction on The Cult...Beyond Good and Evil wasn't horrendous, but they seemed to be catering to the metal crowd. Not that I have a problem w/ that, but I always liked how they straddled the line between alt-rock and hard rock.

What's the deal w/ a 10/2 date, other than it being too far out.

Too far out is all.

I haven't bought a Cult album since Ceremony. I remember picking up that and Blood Sugar Sex Magic on the same day and remarking as the sign of the times that I bought BSSM on CD and Ceremony on cassette. Probably the last cassette tape I ever bought. Either that or the Use Your Illusions.

Too far out is all.

I haven't bought a Cult album since Ceremony. I remember picking up that and Blood Sugar Sex Magic on the same day and remarking as the sign of the times that I bought BSSM on CD and Ceremony on cassette. Probably the last cassette tape I ever bought. Either that or the Use Your Illusions.

I have them all. There were a few Ceremony tracks I listened to non-stop, but skipped around a lot. The self-titled disc had 1-2 tracks that were decent, but I remember being pretty crestfallen over how tepid it was. Good and Evil, as I stated earlier, was a little too heavy for me to listen to on a regular basis...I saw them on that tour though and it was awesome.

The Cult was one of those few bands/artists my brother and I shared big time mutual admiration for (RHCP, Suicidal Tendencies, Butthole Surfers the others). He had one of those awesome giant subway posters of a Sonic Temple-era promo shot of Ian, Billy and Jamie sitting in front of an old car in the middle of the desert...I tried several times, unsuccesfully to convince him to let me take it w/ me to college. He wouldn't even take weed $ for it.

Jesus Christ not only did I have that same poster, but it sounds like I have the same brother. Waitaminnit...

while i love mine as much as an older brother can...god help you if you have the same brother as me.

sidebar:

this...

10934-32.jpg

...is what he's getting this weekend for his birthday (huge gorillaz nut). and, like 9/10 of the gifts i buy for him, i'm considering keeping it for myself.

The Cult was one of those few bands/artists my brother and I shared big time mutual admiration for (RHCP, Suicidal Tendencies, Butthole Surfers the others). He had one of those awesome giant subway posters of a Sonic Temple-era promo shot of Ian, Billy and Jamie sitting in front of an old car in the middle of the desert...I tried several times, unsuccesfully to convince him to let me take it w/ me to college. He wouldn't even take weed $ for it.

for at least 2 years in high school the cult was just about all I listened to. I compiled a collection of probably 10-15 bootlegs/bonus releases, etc., which I sadly gave away sometime thereafter. Also had a couple of wall-sized posters. then when I was able to tape the NYC show that came on late one night on tv (of the Love tour), I just about lost it. I've since found the NYC show on DVD. Haven't seen any other live dvd releases from the Love or Electric eras...

for at least 2 years in high school the cult was just about all I listened to. I compiled a collection of probably 10-15 bootlegs/bonus releases, etc., which I sadly gave away sometime thereafter. Also had a couple of wall-sized posters. then when I was able to tape the NYC show that came on late one night on tv (of the Love tour), I just about lost it. I've since found the NYC show on DVD. Haven't seen any other live dvd releases from the Love or Electric eras...

i just saw that they have a condensed version of the 'Live Cult - Marquee London MCMXCI' Beggar's Banquet put out on iTunes...that used to be hard to find. it's sonic temple-era though, i think. good recording, but the vocals were a little drowned out.

I'd like to get my hands on this again.

I had it on cassette way back - Ian says "Tah! Fookin' excellent!" after almost every tune.

oh my. you know, it's those type of special/promo items/releases that digital based music purchase/consumption have really fucked up. i know labels still do some of it to some extent, but not nearly as much it seems like. beggar's banquet released tons of that type of cult stuff too.

i have that lyceum LP. man, this thread is gold. i grew up loving the cult and i will never give up on them.

i am certainly excited to hear the new record, especially if it all sounds like that clip.

oh, i could also use the manor sessions if people are sending it around.

thanks,

dennis

• 3 weeks later...