Wood Wires and Whiskey - Elliott Brood + Acorn + hockey

Kalle, you reading Casey's blow by blow description of the tour?

Myspace_dates.gif

The tour is currently going through Canuckistan and will be the best thing I will see this year.

eb2.jpg

Wood Wires & Whiskey - Kingston/Ottawa

Kingston

We really had no time to write after the Kingston show... We went to Denny's instead... I had the Big Bird Special. We happened to be playing on the night of the Queen's homecoming at the school. The entire campus was crawling with drunken alumni zombies with lettered jackets. To be clear' date=' not all the alumni of Queen's University are drunken zombies... most are quite normal, but it's the 50 year old drunk guys telling freshmen girls how successful they are that stand out.

Anyways, the show was absolutely packed to the rafters. There was gear all over the place, and watching the Acorn set up was like a circus. Keiko and Howie had to stand in the audience to play. They had no sound check, and fully knowing how that can be, not to mention how chaotic the set-up was, I excpected disaster.

Exactly the opposite happened. It was probably the best set I'd seen them play. The crowd were obviously fans, and the energy was building fast. After a chaotic setup of our own, we opened with "Superior", a song we have rarely done before, but are playing in our set now. It set the tone for a great night for us. After a few gear troubles, we were on our way, and the crowd was with us... an amazing show. We should thank Matt, our sound man for an amazing job. I've never seen someone have to go through shit like that with a smile the entire time.

Ottawa

Ottawa was one of those "hurry up and wait" days. We got there a little early, and milled around for a while. We were getting a little nervous watching the Leafs blow another one because the crowd at Barrymore's just wasn't filling in, and it was getting late. By the time Plants and Animals started, it had begun to fill in well. We stayed busy by double fisting 50s.

I'm pretty sure it was sold out by the time it started, and apparently we had a great set. I couldn't tell because my monitor was turning on and off at random, but everyone, including Mark ans Steve thought it was great. It was just one of those nights for me. We all have them now and then.

In the spirit of the new hockey season, I've decided to rate the shows on this tour like hockey scores. 10 is the highest either side can score (the BROOD rated on performance and the city rated on crowd response/participation)

Elliott BROOD- 4, MONTREAL -8 (OCT 11, 2007)

The Montreal corwd was absolutely energized, but the BROOD's offence couldn't get it going until late in the game.

Elliott BROOD -10, Kingston -10 (OCT 12, 2007)

In what will go down as one of the best games ever played, the BROOD were firing on all cylinders, digging hard in the corners. The Kingston crowd fired back with an onslaught of energetic cheering and dancing. This one went to overtime with no clear victor. Even a shoot-out couldn't settle this one.

Elliott BROOD -9, Ottawa -10 (OCT 13, 2007)

Elliott BROOD played hard, even after a first period injury to first-line left winger Casey Laforet. The Ottawa crowd was a scoring machine, prompting the BROOD to call up reinforcement players from the Acorn squad. The Acorn answered the call with two late assists which nearly tied the game! This was a nail-biter.[/quote']