So I've got a Dunlop, built to Hendrix-original spec Octavio pedal in my possession, which I may or may not buy. However, I don't know how the hell I can use this thing, as all I can muster is some fantastic atmospheric explosions, but not much else. Chords are terrible, but single notes are mind-blowingly crisp and neat.

Anyway, anyone have / had any experience with this thing, and how the hell do you suggest I use it?

First off, Octavios and octave pedals in general aren't really meant for chords, although if you play around with it you could get some cool ring modulator-type sounds. No, they're really made for single-notes, especially solos (a la Hendrix). Typically, if you play notes past the 12th fret (I think) that's where the Octavio really stands out. You'll want to play around with which pickup you use, and you'll probably want to adjust the tone knob on your guitar (I think most folks turn down the treble). I have a Octavia clone, which is kind of fun to play around with, but it's not the most practical pedal, in my opinion. Hope this helps.