I have a question to anybody who might know. In all of the music biographies that I have read most big name artist mention that they have had the same guitar tech for years and years. Being the analytical person who hates not knowing all of the details on things, I have always wondered how much an average guitar tech can make in a year being with the same artist for their entire career? Are they paid per show like touring musicians? I would love to do it but I have serious doubts that it can sustain a family of 6 on a normal basis.

I know the guitar tech who used to work for Jewel and is now with Chris Cornell. With most things, the bigger the name, the bigger the money. This guy left Jewel because he was not getting a "retainer fee". This is a fee you, as the guitar tech, are paid when the artist is not touring. So basically, you get a weekly paycheck year round and when the artist says they're gonna tour, you pack and go. This guy was getting paid $200,000 annually working for Cornell.

A lot of guitar techs will work the studio sessions also (which I didn't know) in case a guitar problem comes up. So -- it's more than just tuning the guitars before the songs :)

I filled in working for Jewel, briefly, when this guy left (short notice) and there was all sorts of stuff to manage -- exactly where the guitars go on stage, wireless mic/monitor setup, tuner pedals for every guitar, etc. etc. The money was good (not 200k), but I got $500 cash per night.