My typical setup has always just been using reverb (Holy Grail) and a little delay once in a while, but I have a new guitarist in my band these days and we have combined our miscellaneous pedal collections and are trying to put together his board for use in the band.

Here is what we have off the top of my head: Overdrive (TS10), Prunes and Custard, Fuzz (Addrock Smile), Digitech Chorus, Digitech SuperShifter, Digitech DD-3 Delay, Digitech Compression/Sustain, Moog Ring Modulator, and Moog Analog Delay.

I was wondering if anyone could provide advice as to what pedals work best in certain parts of the chain. To be honest, I dont even know if this makes a huge difference at all, but I assume there are certain things that shouldnt be before certain things, etc, etc.

Thanks for your help guys.

I've also only scratch the service of pedals, and was wondering what's the method behind having in a certain order or does it matter?

I've found if I put an echo infront of a distortion, i and turn it up, i get feedback, and its not the jay farrer kind - its a nasty digital unmusical sound.

I guess it matters to a certain extent, if you put a delay before a distortion it could get pretty ugly... but beauty is in the eye of beholder.

Typically effect chains are something like this:

Compressors>Distortions/Fuzzes etc>Time Based Effects (eg reverb, chorus, delay, echo)

...but messying around with the order may produce some cool tones

this is probably why the reverb tank is the after the effects loop on all amps