Duke Spirit / Voom Blooms / Tulsa - Seattle 3/7/08

Here's the scoop. G/F calls at 5 pm as I am trying to take a wee nap. We should go and see this show. She'd heard Duke Spirit on KEXP, checked out their myspace page and voila we have our date sorted for Friday night. I'd heard maybe one song by the Duke Spirit and a couple by Tulsa.

Duke Spirit was fecking amazing. Tulsa had promised but failed to really deliver and the Voom Blooms were just alright. It's now almost midnight and I am starting to feel sleepy after a long week. I've heard people say they are slightly reminiscent of MBV, Sonic Youth and Pixies. Kinda, sorta but I thought their many hooks were bigger and brighter. And none of those aforementioned legendary bands had Liela Moss as their front person. Think equal parts Nico, Debbie Harry and Kate Moss wrapped in a lithe, tall Scandanavian frame. Dressed head to toe in black with shiny, shiny boots. Oh and what a voice and stage presence. She swayed, she swaggered and just ripped it. Every song was a killer and from the moment they walked on stage and hit the first chords I had one of those very rare "These guys have the "it" thing" moments.

Looks like they are touring with BRMC in certain markets. I'd be interested to see if anyone here agrees.

http://www.myspace.com/thedukespirit

I absolutely love the Duke Spirit- at least what I've heard of them, anyway. I only have their album Cuts Across the Land and I haven't heard anything from the new one. I also haven't seen them live before, but have only heard incredible things. Can't wait to see them, and you have only enhanced my desire to do so! Were they as loud as I heard they can be?

Also, if I saw them open for BRMC, my brain would melt.