Crystal Ballroom

Portland, OR

Monday, March 17

St. Patrick's Day!

K.M.R.I.A.

My Life in Black and White

8 p.m. doors, 9 p.m. show | $10 advance, $10 day of show | 21 and over

K.M.R.I.A.

This special -- and quite specific -- ensemble plays Pogues music (nothing but!) and is a celebration of that beloved Irish group's virtuosity, songcraft and spirit. The K.M.R.I.A. band features an all-star cast of Pacific Northwest rock: Chris Funk and Jenny Conlee of The Decemberists; Ezra Holbrook of Dr Theopolis; Hanz Araki of The Whyos & Paperboys; Jesse Emerson of Amelia; singer Casey Neill; and Derek Brown of the Eels and Fernando. The show features as much grit, bluster and drunken glory as can be mustered without sacrificing the intricacies of the material. The name K.M.R.I.A. is an acronym for "Kiss my Royal Irish Ass," excerpted from James Joyce's Ulysses and used in the Pogues song "Transmetropolitan." The band only play shows around Xmas and, of course, St. Pat's.

"I heartily subscribe to this effort. Why, I even gave Funk and Conlee directions how to play the impossibly arcane middle section of Bottle of Smoke, which neither Jem (who wrote the damn middle section) nor Terry Woods (who never plays the same thing twice) can actually get through without extemporizing. Neither can I, truth be told. But at least I know how it's supposed to go." - James Fearnely of the Pogues

Visit myspace.com/kmriaband for more information.