Lisa Leslie and Candace Parker are the only players to have dunked in a WNBA game.

On Tuesday night, they were involved in a skirmish -- another occurrence more frequently connected with the men's game -- at, of all places, The Palace of Auburn Hills.

Parker was one of three players ejected, along with Detroit assistant coach Rick Mahorn, after the scuffle with 4.6 seconds left in the Los Angeles Sparks' 84-81 victory over the Shock.

In case you missed the melee, which was late in a nationally televised game on ESPN2, it started moments after Parker and Detroit's Cheryl Ford had to be separated after Ford fouled Parker.

On the next possession, Parker got tangled up with Detroit's Plenette Pierson and fell to the ground. As Parker was getting up, Pierson hovered over the Sparks' rookie, who pulled her to the ground.

Parker then was tackled by the Shock's Deanna Nolan. Players and coaches from both teams joined in, and Mahorn -- who said he simply was trying to separate players -- pushed Leslie at one point and knocked her to the court. Los Angeles' DeLisha Milton-Jones then pushed and punched Mahorn in the back.

''I don't even know why was he pushing me down,'' Leslie said. ''I wasn't swinging or hitting anybody. I was just going to go help my teammate up.''

Although the league, now in its 12th season, is still looking to broaden its fan base, this is hardly what anyone had in mind.

''This is not the way we want to represent ourselves and the WNBA,'' Leslie said, ''and for it to be a television game, obviously, it'll probably make some highlights. And this is not the way we want to get attention.''

I kinda liked the Liberty when they had that blonde point guard, but the basketball generally fails to make me want to watch it for very long.

Guest Jules
I kinda liked the Liberty when they had that blonde point guard, but the basketball generally fails to make me want to watch it for very long.

calling it "basketball" is a stretch. Calling it "professional" is even more of a stretch.