I like him a lot.

Skip Caray dies; spent three-plus decades calling Braves games

ESPN.com news services

Broadcaster Skip Caray, who was in his 33rd season of calling Atlanta Braves games, died in his sleep Sunday at his Atlanta home.

Caray, the son of former Hall of Fame play-by-play announcer Harry Caray, had several ailments in the last year but had recovered enough to continue calling Braves home games at Turner Field. He would have been 69 on Aug. 12.

"Our baseball community has lost a legend today," Braves president John Schuerholz said. "The Braves family and Braves fans everywhere will sadly miss him. Our thoughts are with his wife Paula and his children."

Caray had done a majority of his work for TBS, which gave him a national audience and large fan base.

Caray began his broadcasting career at KMOX-Radio in St. Louis as host of a 15-minute high school sports show and as a sportscaster for high school basketball games. He later joined his father as a color commentator for University of Missouri football.

He began broadcasting baseball for the Tulsa Oilers of the Southern League in 1963. Caray was inducted into the Braves Hall of Fame in 2005 with longtime broadcast partner Pete Van Wieren.

Born in St. Louis, Caray was a graduate of the University of Missouri, with honors in journalism. He is survived by his wife, Paula, and four children; Chip, Cindy, Shayelyn, and Josh and seven grandchildren.

Funeral arrangements have not been announced.

Man, that's a shame. I enjoyed him on the odd occasion that I'd tune in the Braves on TBS.

Who ever would have thought that Skip would die so much younger than his father? For all the abuse Harry put his body through, he had an ironclad constitution.