Thoroughfare Gap

Anyone familiar with this Stephen Stills song? Anyone a fan of it?

My roommate in college played it once and instantly I was hooked not only by the melody, but the words. In the notes from the CSN&Y boxes yet, there is a Stills quote saying that the lyrics can stand alone without music - that it is poetry.

I often find myself searching that song out now and then when I need a little pick-me-up and inspiration. It is probably one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard.

Not sure why it isn't more popular...

If any of you are CSN fans, give the song a listen.

Just wanted to share my thoughts...

"It's not matter the distance, it's the ride." --Stephen Stills

Anyone familiar with this Stephen Stills song? Anyone a fan of it?

My roommate in college played it once and instantly I was hooked not only by the melody, but the words. In the notes from the CSN&Y boxes yet, there is a Stills quote saying that the lyrics can stand alone without music - that it is poetry.

I often find myself searching that song out now and then when I need a little pick-me-up and inspiration. It is probably one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard.

Not sure why it isn't more popular...

If any of you are CSN fans, give the song a listen.

Just wanted to share my thoughts...

"It's not matter the distance, it's the ride." --Stephen Stills

what's up partner!

i a pretty big csny fan. ever since i heard them in high school, i keep going back to them. got the box set back in 91 when it came out and damn if Thoroughfare Gap isn't just a gem. Probably one of my favor Stills songs and one of my favorite songs of all time. It's one of those songs I never tire of. CSN have several songs like that for me. The reason i think it isn't as popular is because most folks don't know about it. It's on the album of the same title which is totally horrendous! Over the past year i have been trying to collect some of Stephen's best solo stuff and his albums from the late 70s to early 80s are terrible except that one song, Thoroughfare Gap.

Great post. Any other favorite still's songs? i am partial to his acoustic stuff. There are a few on his latest release Man Alive, Heart's Gate being the best.

On a sad note, stills voice is shot and i can't believe people still pay money to see him or that he still has the audacity to tour and expect people to come. :dontgetit

what's up partner!

i a pretty big csny fan. ever since i heard them in high school, i keep going back to them. got the box set back in 91 when it came out and damn if Thoroughfare Gap isn't just a gem. Probably one of my favor Stills songs and one of my favorite songs of all time. It's one of those songs I never tire of. CSN have several songs like that for me. The reason i think it isn't as popular is because most folks don't know about it. It's on the album of the same title which is totally horrendous! Over the past year i have been trying to collect some of Stephen's best solo stuff and his albums from the late 70s to early 80s are terrible except that one song, Thoroughfare Gap.

Great post. Any other favorite still's songs? i am partial to his acoustic stuff. There are a few on his latest release Man Alive, Heart's Gate being the best.

On a sad note, stills voice is shot and i can't believe people still pay money to see him or that he still has the audacity to tour and expect people to come. :dontgetit

I actually saw Stills play in the Chautauqua Ampitheater in upstate NY back in 1995 (I think). Real cool outdoor venue. His first set was all acoustic and he actually played Thoroughfare Gap!!!!!! I couldn't believe it and was the only one who yelled and clapped once he started playing it - that got me a few strange stares from the folks standing near me.

He fumbled one of the verses and afterward said that he hadn't played that song in a number of years. One of my all-time favorite concert events.

Not to go on about the song but it truly is a very powerful and emotional song for me not only for the words, but also because of the memories from a certain of my life that it stirs up...

Other than T Gap, there isn't a whole lot more I know from Stills.... 4 + 20 and Blackbird I suppose are the next top songs for me after Gap.

Shame about his voice although I would still chance seeing him just to here him play that song again.

Other than T Gap, there isn't a whole lot more I know from Stills.... 4 + 20 and Blackbird I suppose are the next top songs for me after Gap.

Shame about his voice although I would still chance seeing him just to here him play that song again.

cool you got to see him in 95. i'm sure he sounded awesome. he can still play great guitar, but he just totally sings out of tune. i don't mind the raspy age in his voice, just sing in key!

well, you gotta check out Stephen Stills, Stephen Stills II, Stills, Manassas, and Stills Alone. all have some great songs on them along with some really really bad stuff. Do For Others and Singin' Song are up there with T Gap.

C :thumbup