Lucinda Williams

Little Honey - information via Lost Highway

Lucinda Williams Plots Protest Songs EP

Lucinda Williams

September 16, 2008 , 11:55 AM ET

Michael D. Ayers, N.Y.

Alongside her ninth studio record, "Little Honey" (Oct. 14, Lost Highway) and a hefty fall tour, Lucinda Williams will on Oct. 28 release a digital-only EP of protest songs, Billboard.com can reveal.

"Lu in 08," which is timed to hit a week before the U.S. presidential election, sports four live tracks, three of which are covers: Bob Dylan's "Masters of War," Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth," and the Thievery Corporation/Wayne Coyne collaboration "Marching the Hate Machines Into the Sun."

The fourth cut is the Williams original "Bone of Contention," which was originally intended for inclusion on "Little Honey." "It's a pretty powerful protest song," Williams tells Billboard.com. "The track didn't come out the way I wanted it to [in the studio]. We went out to do some shows, and I played the song live by myself at Summerfest [in Milwaukee]. It just came out killer."

Williams begins a fall outing Sept. 25 in Asheville, N.C., in support of "Little Honey," material from which has already garnered a positive reaction on the road.

"We play 'Real Love' and then 'Tears of Joy' and by the time we get to 'Little Rock Star,' people are just smitten," Williams enthuses. "And that's what you want to see happen. That's what's playing live should do."

• 4 years later...

Looks like Lucinda's getting on the Guthrie create a song deal:

Something Wicked This Way Comes

LW: Yes, we’re going in the studio in March. “Bitter Memory” is one that’s going to be featured in that show Nashville. There’s also “Stowaway in Your Heart.” Another is “Something Wicked This Way Comes,” a hellfire and brimstone Southern Gothic thing. We think it might be in Nashville too, because T-Bone Burnet likes it a lot and he’s doing the music. It’s real cool.

Something else cool: Nora Guthrie, Arlo’s sister, reached out several months ago. We met initially at a folk festival in Germany and stayed in touch. She sent me yet another set of Woody Guthrie’s lyrics that had been discovered and didn’t have music to them. She reached out to me about putting some music on them, which I did. It’s called “House of Earth” and came out really good.

At the same time, they found a novel Woody had written but never published, also called House of Earth. So the book is coming out in conjunction with the song. I did that song last night for the second time. The first I played it was at the Woody Guthrie Tribute at the Kennedy Center in DC in October with Donovan and Judy Collins and others.