Dan Auerbach-Metro Chicago 3/6/09

Anybody here attend this splendid show? I came out not only more than satisfied, but felt the performance was beyond my expectations. Dan played all the tracks out 'Keep It Hid' as well as a few covers... forgive me for not knowing the whole rest of his make-shift touring band, but Patrick O'Hallanan from MMJ was spot on for the entire show and really made the transition of the songs just that much more remarkable. Most of the tunes from the album are really sped up in a live setting, there were very few mellow moments with this night of rock. It's pains me to say, but it was tough not to get the Raconteurs feeling with this Dan set-up, much different feeling than the standard Black Key show and perhaps even better? Certainly more intense which is what kinda took me surprise.

Look forward to hearing more from Dan....

Yeah, I was there and agree with your assessment. The back-up band was Hacienda that opened up for him. The show definitely exceeded my expectations and my expectations were high to begin with.

I could have used a sprinkling of Black Keys songs in there but he probably avoids out of respect for his bandmate.

Anybody here attend this splendid show? I came out not only more than satisfied, but felt the performance was beyond my expectations. Dan played all the tracks out 'Keep It Hid' as well as a few covers... forgive me for not knowing the whole rest of his make-shift touring band, but Patrick O'Hallahan from MMJ was spot on for the entire show and really made the transition of the songs just that much more remarkable. Most of the tunes from the album are really sped up in a live setting, there were very few mellow moments with this night of rock. It's pains me to say, but it was tough not to get the Raconteurs feeling with this Dan set-up, much different feeling than the standard Black Key show and perhaps even better? Certainly more intense which is what kinda took me surprise.

Look forward to hearing more from Dan....

I agree with your assessment 100%...really enjoyed this show, much more than any Keys show I saw last year. He was fantastic. My only quibble was that I wish "When the Night Comes" had retained the dreamy quality it has on record; the performance Friday was a little too lively for my tastes. Very excited to catch these guys again at SXSW next week.

I spoke to Patrick afterward and he said he's really enjoying being a "utility" percussionist on this tour :)