2009 Newport Folk Festival (50th anniversary!)

http://www.folkfestival50.com/

Pete Seeger, The Decemberists, Arlo Guthrie, Fleet Foxes, Joan Baez, Neko Case, Billy Bragg, Campbell Brothers, The Avett Brothers, Josh Ritter, Gillian Welch, Judy Collins, Del McCoury, Iron & Wine, Joe Pug, Tao Rodriguez Seeger, Balfa Toujours, Elvis Perkins in Dearland, Tim Eriksen & Shape Note Singers, Langhorne Slim, Ben Kweller and Low Anthem

I'm there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The line-up is really weird. I thought they'd divide the indie/newer/whatever bands (decemberists, FF, I&W) between the days, but it almost looks like they're trying to segregate crowd types by age or something.

SATURDAY, AUGUST 1 ~ 11:30 am – 7:00 pm

Fort Adams State Park, Harrison Avenue

Pete Seeger, The Decemberists, Fleet Foxes, Gillian Welch, The Avett Brothers, Billy Bragg, Iron & Wine, Mavis Staples, Tom Morello: The Nightwatchman, Ramblin’ Jack Elliott, Ben Kweller, The Low Anthem, Brett Dennen, Tift Merritt, Tao Rodriguez Seeger, Langhorne Slim

SUNDAY, AUGUST 2 ~ 11:30 am – 7:00 pm

Fort Adams State Park, Harrison Avenue

Pete Seeger with Special guest Judy Collins, Joan Baez, Arlo Guthrie, Neko Case, The Campbell Brothers, Josh Ritter, Elvis Perkins in Dearland, Tim Eriksen & Shape Note Singers, Del McCoury, Guy Clark, David Rawlings Machine, Deer Tick, Balfa Toujours, Dala, Joe Pug

When I went in 2007 Saturday was the main day to go, I do not like how they are splitting things up. This could really be a 1 day thing with more stages. If I could see Josh Ritter AND the Decemberists on the same day I would go, however that isn't the case, and I can't afford 2 tix so it looks like I will pass.

This could really be a 1 day thing with more stages.

Yeah, but I kinda like how it's always been split up into two easier days. Sure it makes it more expensive, but getting two shorter days of bands in a small park is worth it in my opinion. They really can't squeeze any more stages into the area they have as it is, and I'd hate to see it be somewhere else. I usually just go camping nearby with friends. Makes for quite the enjoyable and relaxed weekend.

I'd hate to see it be somewhere else.

I'm with you there. In it's current form I see your point, BUT, I read in the Projo a scary bit of information about the folk fest. I guess they have been really hurt over the past few years, and last year they didn't even make a profit. So this years festival might be the last as we know it. At least until the economy gets back on its feet, I'd rather see have a 1 day festival so they can keep bigger acts, rather than a 2 day festival that is watered down (not that this years is watered down, but in the future it will be)

I'm with you there. In it's current form I see your point, BUT, I read in the Projo a scary bit of information about the folk fest. I guess they have been really hurt over the past few years, and last year they didn't even make a profit. So this years festival might be the last as we know it. At least until the economy gets back on its feet, I'd rather see have a 1 day festival so they can keep bigger acts, rather than a 2 day festival that is watered down (not that this years is watered down, but in the future it will be)

I've heard rumors as well that they've had financial issues for the past 5 or so years. I guess that's why the sponsors always seem to change as well. I agree that I'd rather them do whatever they have to do to keep the festival alive.

• 2 months later...

is anyone going this weekend? this will be my first newport folk festival - any general advice from people who have been before?

suggestions on "can't miss" performances?? i agree with the note about del mccoury - i have seen him before and he is fantastic. the overlapping schedule will have us running back and forth im sure. http://www.folkfestival50.com/music-cubes.html