Jay Bennett Appreciation Thread

So, there's been a bunch of discussion of Jay, his medical and legal issues, and his contribution to the band. Of these three things I will say three things:

(1) I hope Jay has a speedy recovery

(2) I hope everyone involved gets everything that they deserve and nothing that they don't deserve

(3) Jay might've been my favorite thing about Wilco's sound

I mean, beyond the discussion of Jay's contribution to the songwriting, I think he had a wonderful gift of crafting instrumental parts that were instantly recognizable, melodic, and catchy (I think that Wilco to some extent is still capable of doing this kind of thing -- Hell is Chrome, I'm a Wheel -- but they just don't seem as interested in it anymore). So, to show my appreciation for Jay's instrumental parts, I thought I'd tab a couple of things out that he does that I find especially impressive. I encourage other to do the same and post here or just post requests.

However, because I am lazy, I'll only commit to tabbing one thing right now, Jay's part to the live version of Airline to Heaven. It's pretty awesome and difficult to play up to speed but immensely rewarding once learned. The live version is really similar to the recorded version though it's played on an electric 12-string and he throws in some extra finger picking just to show off (which I personally love about him). Really the whole thing is showing off since he frets things AND uses a slide, which isn't unheard off, but it's just neat. I used the 4th of July show at Petrillo Music Shell in Grant Park (otherwise known as Jay's last show), which sounds pretty badass and is oddly poingnant .

12-string electric guitar

Tuned to open D (D A D F# A d)

Capo 2 (alternatively, you could just tune to open E -- E B E G# B e -- and omit the capo)

You'll need to put a slide on your pinky (or ring finger if it's comfy)

Pick and fingers!

1...V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^.....V.....^......

e------------------------0-----------0--------------|

B---------------------0-----------0-----------------|

G#--------0-----1-p0--------------------------------|

E---------------------------2-p0--------------------|

B---------------------------------------2-p0--------|

E---0-----------------------------------------2/3---| Repeat!

It's all fretted until the final slide at the end of the measure, which is played with the, um, slide. It's really not too important if you slide from the 2nd to the 3rd fret or the 3rd to the 4th or the 2nd to the 4th since it happens pretty quick and it's more about making slide-y noises and being cool.

Use a pick for the third through sixth strings and middle and ring fingers to pluck the second and first strings.

From there it's just a matter of using the slide to slide all the strings up to the 5th fret for the A chord and to the 7th fret for the B chord (oh, and playing all open strings when appropriate).