Record Player Help

Hey all I'm thinking of purchasing a record player sometime in the new future to play the Wilco vinyls I am planning on ordering. I'm wondering if anyone could direct me on what a solid player would be (i.e. features i should look for). Not looking for anything extreme (something $300 or less). If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Hey all I'm thinking of purchasing a record player sometime in the new future to play the Wilco vinyls I am planning on ordering. I'm wondering if anyone could direct me on what a solid player would be (i.e. features i should look for). Not looking for anything extreme (something $300 or less). If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Not for nothing, this may sound silly, and I am definitely showing my age, but I have had for over 25 years a Technics SL-DL1.

I am sure the technology has improved in the last 25 years, but I always loved it because the the tone arm is built into the lid of the turntable.

So you never had to worry about dropping the needle on the record and creating a scratch.

The arm tracked in horizontal line perpendicular to the front of the turntable - linear tracking I think is what they called it.

It was a direct drive (most back then were belt-driven) and it had a control that allowed you manually adjust the rotation speed to correct the pitch.

I just googled the name & model and see one is selling for $89. It's not mine,though! Mine still works and its probably the last one I'll ever own.