THIS BOARDER recommended THIS ALBUM to me....

Just a place for us to post our thoughts about things that we listened to at the urging of our fellow VCers.

Really, just a place to answer these three questions:

What did you get?

Who suggested it to you?

What do you think of it?

And then, of course, add any other commentary that you might want to add; a "thank you", "screw you", "I'm going to kill you for this!", or anything else like that.

I hope that this will be stickied to the top of the forum, as a handy little reference tool for the board.

I'll be posting something here pretty soon -- as soon as I digest this album.

Okay, so JFF recommended this album to me:

Butterf1.jpg

Here are my impressions after a couple of listens:

The songwriting, itself is not immediately grabbing me. But on this (my second) listen, I am enjoying it more than the first time around. I can hear how it is a bit of a subtle record and how it will grow on me. The sound of it is absolutely 90's College Radio. Not commercial "Alternative", but exactly what I used to hear on the left of the dial back around 95 to 98. There is a DIY vibe with some interesting chord voicings and appropriately, half-mumbled, (barely) out-of-key vocals.

Hints of early Meat Puppets, Souled American, and Liz Phair's first record.

I'm gonna keep listening to this one.

Thanks, jff!

Okay, so JFF recommended this album to me:

Butterf1.jpg

Here are my impressions after a couple of listens:

The songwriting, itself is not immediately grabbing me. But on this (my second) listen, I am enjoying it more than the first time around. I can hear how it is a bit of a subtle record and how it will grow on me. The sound of it is absolutely 90's College Radio. Not commercial "Alternative", but exactly what I used to hear on the left of the dial back around 95 to 98. There is a DIY vibe with some interesting chord voicings and appropriately, half-mumbled, (barely) out-of-key vocals.

Hints of early Meat Puppets, Souled American, and Liz Phair's first record.

I'm gonna keep listening to this one.

Thanks, jff!

Hey, cool. It was a grower for me, too. I didn't like it very much at first, but now I thoroughly enjoy it. It probably helps that I know the band, but then again, I have a lot of friends in bands and a lot of them have made albums that I think are crap.

I'll try to think of some records to add to this thread. Nothing's coming to mind at the moment, but I'm sure there are a number of examples.

PopTodd has been plugging Joe Pisapia's Daydream on here for awhile, and I was finally able to secure a copy. I was vaguely familiar with Joe through his contributions to Guster over the years, Keep It Together was a huge album for me my senior year in high school, and kind of expected it to sound like them. While I hear traces of Guster, it feels closer to The Band, Nick Drake, Songs for Beginners era-Graham Nash and even traces of the late great Elliott Smith. The second cut Empty is a real gem, and River Song is great. Pisapia's voice is instantly accessible, and I can get behind anyone whose vocals/lyrics I can actually understand. My favorite part of the album might be the extended piano piece on the end of Daydream, which might have been a hidden track. So if you are a fan of things that are awesome, this is worth checking out.

--Mike

PopTodd has been plugging Joe Pisapia's Daydream on here for awhile, and I was finally able to secure a copy. I was vaguely familiar with Joe through his contributions to Guster over the years, Keep It Together was a huge album for me my senior year in high school, and kind of expected it to sound like them. While I hear traces of Guster, it feels closer to The Band, Nick Drake, Songs for Beginners era-Graham Nash and even traces of the late great Elliott Smith. The second cut Empty is a real gem, and River Song is great. Pisapia's voice is instantly accessible, and I can get behind anyone whose vocals/lyrics I can actually understand. My favorite part of the album might be the extended piano piece on the end of Daydream, which might have been a hidden track. So if you are a fan of things that are awesome, this is worth checking out.

--Mike

Glad that I could turn somebody on to that record. And I'm equally glad that it didn't disappoint.

:cheers