Helsinki 17.08.09

Wow. What a great show. Just gotten back and am now raiding lollys in business centre of hotel to replace kilojoules I burned going off to Kidsmoke. The show was in a largeish tent in a park, lovely place. Was nice to have toilets with water after the horrors of the previous festival toilets. Met some lovely people including probably the only other VCer in Helsinki (we were both front and centre), as well as Wilco (the man). Yes, there was a ducth man there who didn't have a ticket to the sold out show, but given his name (he showed them his passport) they managed to find one for him. Support was Kasper, a newish Finnish group who sounded very Simon and Garfunkle and weren't bad, but very hard to differentiate between their songs.

Set list:

Wilco

I am trying to break your heart

Shot in the arm

At least thats what you said

Bull black nova

You are my face

One wing

Handshake drugs

Side with the seeds

Deeper down

Jesus etc

Sonny feeling

Impossible Germany

Via chicago

You never know

Hate it here

Heavy metal drummer

Walken

I'm the man who loves you

Spiders

According to the set list (see pics) we were meant to get Hummingbird as well but that got dropped, guessing there may have been a curfew?? So much for the Finns being reserved people, that crowd went off. They were so into it. Jeff said they were one of the best crowds and they would have to come back more often. Tried to look happy like everyone else about that, but fuck Helsinki, come to Melbourne! Seriously Helsinki must be the wettest and most boring place on earth (apologies to the locals, its nothing personal). No many photos as apparantley the band had requested we didn't take them. Tried so hard to be good, but its not in my nature, so took some at the end. Didn't want to piss Wilco off but hey, they have to April or whenever its is they come down under to forgive me. Photos to follow, about to punch computer, its not behaving.

Okay, here are pics. No where near as good as the Göteborg ones unfortunately, I peaked too early. Am going to leave Wilco alone now before they start to hate me (too late??). So it shall fall to some other person to report on the upcoming European shows.

Helsinki

Just got back home after a two hour drive. Great show indeed, and it was nice meeting you as well...

Too bad they skipped Hummingbird, but I heard they're kind of strict about the 10pm curfew for these outdoor shows. The crowd was really good, totally not typical Helsinki/Finland on Monday night crowd. Great to see that the band seemed to enjoy it as well.