I couldn't see a thread on this but.....the new record by Gil Scott-Heron is amazing. He's been off the scene for the best part of twenty years with regard to recorded output. This is a producer-artist type effort in a similar vein to the Rubben/Cash recordings. The results are staggering. Its a very short album, and a lot of it is spoken word pieces, but I would recommend it. There is a 'Massive Attack' feel to alot of the tracks. The title track is a 'Smog' cover I believe.

I don't think I've heard a stronger album this year. Certainly the most pleasantly surprising.

Its definitely an interesting album to say the least. 28 minutes long, about 1/2 of which is spoken word collages, the other 1/2 is a mix of covers (Bill Callahan ?!) and some original stuff. It shouldnt work..but somehow it does. Love the dubby production job. The content is much more personal than political. Its really a work you have to take as a whole. I love the liner notes...

There is a proper procedure for taking advantage of any investment.

Music, for example. Buying an album is an investment.

To get the maximum you must

LISTEN TO IT FOR THE FIRST TIME UNDER OPTIMUM CONDITIONS.

Not in your car or on a portable player through a headset.

Take it home.

Get rid of all distractions, (even her or him).

Turn off your cell phone.

Turn off everything that rings or beeps or rattles or whistles.

Make yourself comfortable.

Play your album.

LISTEN all the way through.

Think about what you got.

Think about who would appreciate this investment.

Decide if there is someone to share this with.

Turn it on again.

Enjoy Yourself.

-Gil Scott-Heron

I started a GSH appreciation thread a few years ago on his birthday, but when I went to my profile to pull it up it appears to be gone, probably from the Great Board Crash last year. :ohwell

Anyway, this guy is a big hero of mine, and I'll be seeking this new disc out ASAP. Thanks for the heads up.

It's nice to know he has finally broken out and recorded something new. His old records are quite good, I have a bunch of them and I saw him a couple times back in the early 80s I think, maybe late 70s.

LouieB