link

T-Bone Wolk Dies From Heart Attack

by Paul Cashmere - March 1 2010

Bass player Tom "T-Bone" Wolk, best known for his work with Hall and Oates, died Saturday from a heart attack at age 58.

T-Bone Wolk was a regular in the Saturday Night Live band and has worked with Billy Joel, Carly Simon, Bette Midler, Laurie Anderson, Robert Palmer, Elvis Costello and Shawn Colvin over the years.

Australians familiar with Jimmy Barnes' 'Freight Train Heart' album still hear his work on radio.

As a producer, Wolk produced the 1991 Willie Nile album 'Places I Have Never Been'.

More recently, Wolk was seen online as the bass player in Daryl Hall's 'Live From Daryl's House' show.

In the biography at his official website Marc Wayner describes the guy this way:

"For those of you don't know, T-Bone Wolk is that guy with "the hat" who, among other activities, has been playing bass guitar with Daryl Hall and John Oates since 1981.

"He originally got the gig after playing bass on the first gold rap record, "These Are The Breaks", by Kurtis Blow in early 1981.

"This gave him the chance to audition for the Hall and Oates band; now 23 years later he is the resident musical director and often times co-producer of their records".

As a youngster, I always enjoyed seeimg him and G.E. Smith each week on Saturday Night Live. They probably infuenced my taste in music (and my appreciation for classic vintage guitars) as much as anyone.