Jayhawks news for 2010!

Took this from the Jayhawksfanpage!!!

new blog from Gary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to say hey and let you know I haven't forgotten you. For those who are curious here is what is going on in my world.

In late January i had a great time at the 30A Singer Songwriter festival in Northern Florida. I was able to see lots of friends and play some music and walk the beach. I had the thrill to play a songwriter in the round night with Rodney Crowell. He actually asked me to play a few leads on his songs so i felt pretty damn cool ..I also was impressed with Emily Saliers from the Indigo Girls. I was able to corral my friends Suzanna Hoffs and Matthew Sweet to sit in with me on my solo show and then was able to run over and sing with them. Really a blast. Highly recommended next year.

I then went to Nashville where I have forged a musical friendship with Kristen Hall, formerly of Sugarland. We have a mutual respect society going and when she said she discovered this guy named Scott Thomas and wanted us all to write his next record I was game. After meeting Scott we quickly became new best friends and for 5 snowy days in Nashville we wrote some of the best songs I have ever been a part of ...this guy has got is and i think people's jaws will drop in a good way when we are finished. I will return to Nashville in March to finish writing with them.

After that I was home a few days and then was offered an empty house in McCall Idaho so I jumped on that and spent two weeks alone with a piano and my guitar (and the Olympics). I hope to have written my next solo album (will have to review) but it was inspiring and thanks to everyone who just took care of me and let me do it. Sometimes a person needs to be alone with his thoughts, no matter how scary they are. Now I am home for a few days and then off to LA. I will stay and write with my great friend Chris Robinson (we hope to do a side project together, maybe next year) and then I will be writing with Suzanna Hoffs and Deana Carter. After that i will drive out to Joshua Tree and Mark Olson and I will begin writing our next duo record. I will return home mid March and then back to Nashville to finsih writing with Scott and Kristen.

I hope to be doing a week of solo shows in mid May and a show at the Truck Festival in NY State in late April. I will try to attach a link under the news section ...I tried to do it here and lost my entire blog!! This is round two for me on this one. Also look for releases from The Sadies and Kirsten Jones later this spring, two projects i produced and absolutely love and recommend. No I haven't forgotten about the Jayhawks. Booking agents and record companies and management are trying to coordinate things. We are hoping for a early June re=release of HTH and TTGG with shows to follow. Lost Highway believe or not is finally releasing the Bunkhouse record and is trying to coordinate that with Sony Legacy the the HTH/TTGG packages. We do not know where we wil be playing in support of these releases yet but will keep you posted....wait until you hear some of the bonus tracks!! (no the Lost Highway Bunkhouse won't have bonus tracks but maybe some unseen photos.) So you see we are busy trying to get music to you. Sometimes life gets in the way but this year should be a fruitfull one.....

regards,

gary

And it takes five cups of coffee

To calm down before I sleep

On an sorta related note I am trying to pick up Jayhawks albums on vinyl and they are prohibitively expensive anyone know where I canget any of their albums under $20!? I Really want to pick up Blue Earth, Hollywood, Sound of Lies or Tomorrow on Vinyl!

Well thats just about the best news I've had this year. Sounds really exciting. Looking for to the legacy editions of HTH and TTGG and the Bunkhouse recordings. hopefully the band will be playing some shows in the U.K to go along with the releases. A new Louris/Olson record is also pretty exciting.

Sounds like a good life-style if you can make a living from it. Roaming round the country writing songs with friends, old and new.

With regards to the Vinyls, I have Sound of Lies which is my favourite Jayhawks record.

Gary Louris sure looks to be the busy man. Happy he's doing more with Mark O., but kind of wish it were a full-on Jayhawks thing. Oh, well, take what you can get.

I wouldn't rule out Mark joining for the Jayhawks shows in June mentioned above. If they are re-releasing HTH it would be the cherry on top to have Mark constantly tour with them the next round... :cheers

I wouldn't rule out Mark joining for the Jayhawks shows in June mentioned above. If they are re-releasing HTH it would be the cherry on top to have Mark constantly tour with them the next round... :cheers

I agree, especially after their reunion shows in Spain last year, that this would be entirely possible. But as far as the new material is concerned, I hope it has some electric moments in there. I dig "Ready for the Flood" but hope that Louris doesn't forget to bring his SG to the recording session this time. I think if they did something under the Jayhaks moniker there would be no other way. (And Karen tickling the keys wouldn't be a bad thing either.)

I've been listening to the second disc of the recent retrospective 'Music From The North Country'. The quality of the material on that disc is staggering. I think the band made some major errors with the choice of songs/versions that were released on their later albums. Tracks like 'Someone Will' and 'Rotterdam' are vastly superior to the versions that made the cut. 'Smile' could have been a massive album but they kind of blew it by trying to make it sound too commercial. That move almost had the opposite effect in that it didn't gain new fans but rather lost them some old ones. Who knows, but I'm sure they could have been more successful if they'd stay true to themselves. Anyway that disc of unreleased stuff is easily as good as anything they've released so I'm looking forward to future gems being uncovered.