Paul Weller "Wake Up The Nation"

Been listening to this non-stop since last week. At 52 Paul Weller has released what to my ears is his best solo album to date and something that compares well with anything in his career. The collaboration with producer/song-writer Simon Dine is inspired. The brevity of many of the 16 songs may grate with some (there are only 4 above three minutes) but for me it makes for a thrilling listen. Musically it covers a lot of bases but the arrangements and instrumentation across the tracks are consistently interesting. On repeated plays there's tons of stuff going on beyond the surface and there's definitely a psychedelic tinge to a lot of it. Lots of great tracks and after treading the same ground for a lot of the late nineties and early naughties Weller has never sounded so joyful or playful.

I agree with you. This album and 22 Dreams are completely great and seems that Weller is really bang on form and in a purple patch. Seeing him live soon and really looking forward to it.

I agree with you. This album and 22 Dreams are completely great and seems that Weller is really bang on form and in a purple patch. Seeing him live soon and really looking forward to it.

He's finally making the sort of music his varied career and parts of his solo stuff have hinted at. Hope you enjoy the show. Fingers crossed for a US tour later this year. He doesn't play here often but you get to see him in great smaller venues

He's finally making the sort of music his varied career and parts of his solo stuff have hinted at. Hope you enjoy the show. Fingers crossed for a US tour later this year. He doesn't play here often but you get to see him in great smaller venues

I take it from various interviews he has done that he is not completely taken with America and playing there. Seems he is a very insular Briton.