AMG's "Album of the Day"

Jonny Polonsky - Hi My Name is Jonny

g39382fpurw.jpg

Power pop will never die. At least, it won't as long as whippersnappers like Jonny Polonsky are around to infuse it with the youth and exuberance he displays on his debut album, Hi My Name Is Jonny. Just 22 years old, Polonsky inundated his idol, Frank Black, with tapes of his music. Black was impressed enough to not only get Polonsky a record deal, but to produce his debut. The Black touch is apparent throughout the album, especially on tracks like "In My Mind" and "I Don't Know What to Dream at Night," both of which boast loud guitars, sharp pop hooks, and cute lyrics. Occasionally, Polonsky overdoes the quirkiness that makes his songs unique — "Evil Scurvy Love" and "It's Good to Sleep" are a bit too silly for their own good. However, Polonsky's pop smarts create some terrific, catchy love songs like "Gone Away" and "Half Mind," which sound excited to exist. "Love Lovely Love" is instant gratification at its best, and "Truly Ugly and Dead Too" is as fun a put-down song as you're likely to hear. Too short at ten songs, Hi My Name Is Jonny makes Polonsky a name to remember.

Never actually heard this album, despite the fact that my friend Geoff is friends with him and (I think that ) he played on parts of it. The album cover just put me off too much; too cutesy. But I forgot about the Frank Black connection, so maybe I'll have to finally check this one out after all.

Just picked it up from Amazon for $0.01.

I'll report back after it arrives and I give it a couple of listens.

Jonny Polonsky - Hi My Name is Jonny

g39382fpurw.jpg

Never actually heard this album, despite the fact that my friend Geoff is friends with him and (I think that ) he played on parts of it. The album cover just put me off too much; too cutesy. But I forgot about the Frank Black connection, so maybe I'll have to finally check this one out after all.

It's a lost gem from the 90's.