2nd Annual No Depression Festival

Yesterday was the 2nd annual No Depression festival - Marymoor Park, Redmond, Washington. Bands were the Maldives, Sera Cahoone, and the Cave Singers (all Seattle based), Chuck Prophet, Alejandro Escavedo, Lucinda Williams, and the Swell Season. All of the bands were fantastic, and the festival is really well run - short breaks between bands, great food and microbrews, lovely forested setting. This followed on the heels of an amazing 1st annual show headlined by Iron and Wine and Gillian Welch/David Rawlings.

No Depression indeed: I didn't really go to see the Swell Season, but I was very impressed with their performance, especially given the circumstances. It was a very emotional, moving set. It is clear that they were profoundly affected by the on stage suicide at the Mountain Winery in Saratoga,CA two nights earlier, and I think the interaction with the wonderful crowd was cathartic for them. A beautiful moon was behind them (just like at the Wilco show 3 years ago at the same venue), and they held the crowd's complete attention with the closing performance of the festival. I wouldn't have thought of the Swell Season as alt country, but I changed my mind for some of their songs with the full band.

Someone else started a thread about 'an interesting way to go', but I also would like to draw attention to this festival. Look for the 3rd annual, next August, and come on to Seattle!

(this should've been posted in 'After the Show', but too late now!)

www.nodepression.com

The Swell Season, a pop/rock duo, has reflected on the incident on its web site and social networking sites.

"The band, crew and all involved with them are shocked and saddened by the death that occurred at last night's show," the songwriting duo said on its Twitter page Friday.

The Swell Season posted another message on its Facebook page Saturday before a concert in Washington state.

"Making and performing music is what the band has always done in good times and in bad," it read. "Our hope is that in this communal experience tonight we can somehow help our own grieving process after what we just witnessed. The show will most certainly be different than any other we have ever played."

"We wish to continue to be sensitive to family and friends of this individual and hope that in performing it is not viewed as a selfish act," the message continues. "We have not come to this decision lightly. We continue to have them at the forefront of our minds and hearts.?"

10_Aug_21_102a.jpg

10_Aug_21_127b.jpg