Diversity

In your critical writing (in this thread and in a previous one about the Pixies that I am too lazy this cold Dublin morning to find and link to), you have a way of subjectively paraphrasing rather than quoting the original text, that contradicts my own interpretation of (or intention in) the original text. So, "would likely" becomes paraphrased as "should"; "gentle reminder" is restated as "[i am] offended"; and so on...

I really think that you have me confused with someone else on here regarding the Pixies.

"The 2 worst experiences I had were at the same venue: Agganis Arena at BU. 1. Pixies in 05- This couple gets in front of me and my friend. We're in the front row of the 2nd second floor section. So these people obviously aren't in their seats. I try tapping the girl's shoulder first since she was in front of me. Nothing. Than I look for the staff to help out or at least do a nod to this not-in-their-seat-couple. More tapping. I try speaking but it's too loud. So I start blowing at the back of her head. Well, this she felt since she spun around like the devil and threw her $5.00 water at me. So of course at this point the security comes over and she starts yelling at him about me and he starts to say, "come with me." To which I try to tell him, "check my tickets and than check theirs...we're in the 1st row of this section..." So finally he notices that they're in the wrong and than he takes them away. It was a total deliberate invasion of space. She was in a position much like one's girlfriend would be. Her ass was in my crotch when she danced. Normally I guess I wouldn't mind given the situation but there wasn't even a foot between us and she was there with her boyfriend. I couldn't move and the PIxies already played Subbacultcha, so that ruled out any fantasy that would have manifested." - this was in a thread about concert etiquette.

And then in the Pixies/Gaza Strip Controversy thread my only comment was the following: "Elton will play Israel because Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting.....

He will probably donate the $1 million to his own Elton John Aids Foundation. It's a shame though how he earned the money.

It's amazing how he's always on the verge of bankruptcy even when he's been playing in Vegas for the past 4 or so years. As Analogman stated he is a big spender and needs to tone it down a notch. This explains why he always seems to tour over and over again with Billy Joel and do his own (with/without his band) constant touring of the U.S., etc. and does practically the same show and songs. Although, this fall he's touring with Leon Russell and simultaneously putting out a record with him. "

I think when one formulates a theory based on a text, it is standard practice to find specifics in the original text that support it, and also to make it very clear where the text ends and where your analysis begins.

Hmm. How quickly we forget a half a page analysis (that I did using colors of the rainbow) of your post that got us here in the first place? {page 2}

But then, why apply these academic ethics/criteria to your writing, here on a fan forum, about a band, and a TV show? There are no grades here, or degrees to confer, or books to publish.

As I have explained, oh so well, in so many posts on three different pages of this thread: wait a minute. I guess I should only read things on here as face value and not try to decipher if this person is being sarcastic or sincere or if there is more to what they wrote. For example, was there something included and excluded to get a specific point across? Subtext should never occur on a message board because everyone knows what everyone looks like and exactly what that person is like in real life. And most importantly: know exactly what that person is thinking by what they write. That was sarcastic by the way.

So you are saying that you have never suspected subtext in what anyone ever wrote on here? I don't see how this is in any way some form of trying to enforce academic criteria. A good majority of the time we are reading words on a message board. Sometimes they are succinct answers. Other times they are more verbose. This is all part of communication. A part of life.

Conclusion: subtext for me is bad because I misinterpreted what you wrote, but you can prance around and deconstruct jokes of race until the stars fall from the sky.

Edit: Oh, and since you keep throwing in that you are an anthropology major, I shall declare that my major was communication.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic