A Beginner's Guide To.... Mix Exchange

It's old idea revival time. I recall when I joined these forums (2005?) that there was a great thread aimed at people, like me, who were interested in certain bands/artists/genres but didn't know where to start for a number of reasons (unfamiliarity; no money; over-whelming back catalogue; hated traditional 'Best Of' compilations; didn't have the time to be arsed; etc).

The process was quite simple: people posted who they wanted to hear more about and then subject matter experts would offer up their hand-picked selections and upload for the benefit of the requester and anyone else interested. The beauty of the fan-endorsed cuts is that they often swerve all the big radio hits, singles and popular tunes (not that they're all bad) in favour of a better, more selective cross-section.

I think there was only rule, and that was the uploaded compilations couldn't be more than ten songs. It's not a hard and fast rule, but I think it did help people concentrate their efforts and not over-indulge.

Those interested, please feel free to start placing your requests. Hopefully there'll be enough interest to satisfy all.

I'll start the ball rolling with two requests for myself:

Pavement

and

Van Morrison