Attention Nick Lowe/Ian Gomm fans!

From the Brinsley Schwarz Facebook page (and Ian Gomm's official site):

UNRELEASED BRINSLEY SCHWARZ ALBUM

If you would like to purchase a CD copy of the previously unreleased Brinsley Schwarz "It's All Over Now" album recorded from the original master tapes please e-mail contact@iangomm.com . It was thought by many fans to have been lost, and contains the original Brinsley Schwarz version of “Cruel To Be Kind” which Nick Lowe and Ian Gomm wrote. You can also purchase the Brinsley Schwarz "Live at the Top Rank Cardiff, June 19th 1974" CD, again recorded from the original master tapes with a special cover. Also available is a "Brinsley Schwarz Rarities" CD. Please e-mail contact@iangomm.com if you would like more details.

I sent off an email to find out more about these bad boys. Any of y'all heard/own any of them?

Each of the 3 CDs are 12.50 English, Sterling (about $20 US). I just got an email back directly from Ian (it appears), and he said that he is going to let me know how much it would be for all 3 in a package deal. All are digitally remastered from the original master tapes and will come autographed by Ian.

Waiting for Ian's reply to me. I mean, being the big Brinsleys geek that I am, there is no way that I am going to let this go.

EDIT:

So, no break for all 3. It came to a total of $70 US, for them all. Maybe saved on the shipping cost of one of the discs. Still, I am stoked to hear all this music from one of my favorite bands.

Here's the dirt on all three albums, directly from Ian Gomm (in an email to me).

BRINSLEY SCHWARZ - IT'S ALL OVER NOW

1 We Can Mess Around (Lowe) Nick Lowe - Lead Vox

2 Cruel To Be Kind (Lowe/Gomm) Nick Lowe - Lead Vox

3 As Lovers Do (Lowe) Nick Lowe - Lead Vox

4 I'll Take Good Care Of You (Berns/Ragavoy) Nick Lowe - Lead Vox

5 Hey Baby (There Playing Our Song) (Holvay & Beisber) Ian Gomm - Lead Vox

6 Do The Cod (The Thirty Pounder) (Lowe/Andrews/Gomm/Rankin/Schwarz) Instrumental

7 God Bless (Whoever Made You) (Lowe/Gomm) Ian Gomm - Lead Vox

8 Everybody (T.Rowe) Ian Gomm - Lead Vox

9 Private Number (T.Jones/W.Bell) Bob Andrews and Ian Gomm - Lead Vox

10 Give Me Back My Love (Lowe/Gomm) Nick Lowe - Lead Vox

11 It's All Over Now (B.Womack) Ian Gomm - Lead Vox

Produced by Steve Veroca

Recorded Autumn 1974 at Rockfield Studios' date=' Monmouth, Wales

Mixed by Ian Gomm Spring 1987 at Windowledge Bay Studio, Powys, Wales

I can also supply you with a CD digital copy of Brinsley Schwarz "Live at the Top Rank Cardiff, June 19th 1974" which was never released and is individually recorded again from the original master tapes.

[u']BRINSLEY SCHWARZ - LIVE AT THE TOP RANK CARDIFF, JUNE 19th 1974[/u]

1. Country Girl

2. Hooked On Love

3. Trying To Live My Life Without You

4. Small Town Big City

5. Honky Tonk

6. What's So Funny 'Bout Peace Love And Understanding

7. It's Been So Long

8. Private Number

9. Happy Doing What We're Doing

10.Surrender To The Rhythm

11.You're So Fine

12.Hip City

13.Ju Ju Man

It was recorded using the Pye Records mobile recording studio and includes the first live Brinsley Schwarz recorded version of "What's So Funny 'Bout Peace Love And Understanding". They were made when the group was supporting Dave Edmunds on a UK tour back in 1974 and are the only proper live recordings of a Brinsley Schwarz set ever made with a mobile recording truck, apart from when we supported Paul McCartney and Wings in Newcastle on their "Red Rose Speedway" UK tour.

The Brinsley Schwarz Rarities CD is a collection of rare recordings with a special photo cover, autographed again by me if you would like.

BRINSLEY SCHWARZ RARITIES

1. Greasy Truckers Party:

* Wonder Woman

* It's Just My Way Of Saying Thank You

* I'm Ahead If I Can Quit While I'm Behind

* Midnight Train

* Surrender To The Rhythm

2. Murder On My Mind

3. Motorway Madness

4. Rock and Roll Station

5. What Would You Do?

6. The Old Country

7. Crime Of Passion

8. Love is Gone

9. I'll Be Doggone

10. You've Been Cheating

11. Hey Bartender

12. I Ain't Never

13. She's Got To Be real

14. That's What It Takes

15. You Ain't Living Until You're Loving

16 Walking The Dog

The first five tracks were recorded live at the Roundhouse in London at the Greasy Truckers Party concert. "What Would You Do" was recorded live at the Paradiso in Amsterdam for a film called "Paradiso" that is now unavailable and "The Old Country" is a "Silver Pistol" out-take that wasn't used on that album. "Crime Of Passion" was recorded on a 4-track reel to reel when we were rehearsing. The rest of the tracks are radio broadcasts and live gig recordings.

These sound pretty great. If they were around $15 per disc I'd probably jump in. I guess the autograph bumps the price up. I'd rather it be cheaper and sans autograph though.

These sound pretty great. If they were around $15 per disc I'd probably jump in. I guess the autograph bumps the price up. I'd rather it be cheaper and sans autograph though.

Agreed. But I don't think that it's the signature that bumps it up, I think that it's the short run and the weak dollar combination.

U.K. prices for CDs have always been higher than North America, it's too bad. Nevertheless I might still get the unreleased and the rarities disc.

• 1 month later...

So, being directly in-touch with Mr. Gomm has allowed me to ask him a question that I have wanted to know the answer to for some time:

Where the HELL can I get Jim Ford's original recording of "Ju Ju Man"? Did he ever record it himself?

I figured that, if anyone would know, it would be a member of the band that did one of the earliest recordings (if not the earliest recording) of the song.

So, I asked him.

Here is what he said:

I don't have any Jim Ford recordings of "Ju Ju Man".

He sang it to the Brinsley Schwarz group and I still have the sheet music for the recording session somewhere.

Damn.

Still, it's cool to get some insight into one of my favorite recordings of all time. Trying to picture Jim teaching the song to the band, while one or more of the guys writes down the notations.

And, the Royal Mail apparently screwed up my order, so I am waiting for a second package that Ian is sending out. Hopefully it'll come soon.

IT CAME!

IT CAME!

IT CAME!

(of course, it came after I contacted him about my first order not coming!)

EDIT:

First listen. First song on It's All Over Now.

Sound quality = BRILLIANT.

Got mine too...all 3 BS albums as well as Ian & Jeb Loy Nichols' "Only Time Will Tell". Ian was sweet enough to autograph all, at my request. :worship Cool! I haven't even listened to any of it yet though, because I've been so busy between my Dad's hospitalization and my own gang, including me, all being sick with a nasty flu. I can't wait but I want to find a peaceful moment to be able to get swept up in these cd's. I know I'm going to love them! The Brinsleys could always make me so damned happy. :)

Great story about Juju Man, PopTodd! That's a great mental picture.

Hmm,no big deal I think this Cardiff"" show as well as "The Unreleased album"are circulating for years .If you really like some early sunshine pop better check out:

steeth.jpg

Brinsley Schwarz were a 1970s English pub rock band, named after their guitarist Brinsley Schwarz. With Nick Lowe on bass and vocals, keyboardist Bob Andrews and drummer Billy Rankin, the band evolved from the 1960s pop band Kippington Lodge.

[Track Info]

1. Shy Boy (as Kippington Lodge)

2. Lady on a Bicycle (as Kippington Lodge)

3. Rumours (as Kippington Lodge)

4. And She Cried (as Kippington Lodge)

5. Tell Me a Story (as Kippington Lodge)

6. Understand a Woman (as Kippington Lodge)

7. Tomorrow, Today (as Kippington Lodge)

8. Turn Out the Light (as Kippington Lodge)

9. In My Life (as Kippington Lodge)

10. I Can See Her Face (as Kippington Lodge)

11. Hypocrite (as The Hitters)

12. The Version (as The Hitters)

13. I've Cried My Last Tear

14. (It's Gonna Be A) Bring Down

15. Everybody

16. I Like You, I Don't Love You

17. Day Tripper (as The Knees)

18. Slow Down (as The Knees)

19. I Should Have Known Better (as Limelight)

20. Tell Me Why (as Limelight)

21. There's a Cloud in My Heart (as The Brinsleys)

22. I Got the Real Thing (as The Brinsleys)

Hen's Teeth is the only gaping hole in my BS collection. And, the more I hear about it, the more I think that I really do need it. I will be picking that one up as soon as my bank account recovers from this recent purchase. But thanks for the reinforcement.

I have that Knees single. When I interviewed Dave Edmunds years ago, during Rockpile days, I'd brought a few discs along for autographs from Nick and Dave. That Knees single was the only one Nick refused to autograph, insisting it wasn't him!

I've got some of the Kippington Lodge singles too. Pretty awful, but the photos are funny.