Did You Like The M's?

Hear some great new music from Walter & Wendell (Joey King and Steve Versaw, formerly of The M's).

http://themovingslabel.com/

If you saw The M's open up for our beloved Wilco back in the mid '00's you may recognize Joey and Steve as founding members of that group. Also, if you tend to pay attention to the Wilco crew you may also recognize Joey and Steve as those who were black on stage at a Wilco show and help Tweedy and the boys play and sound so great.

They are gearing up to release a new album that was recorded at the Loft in 2009 and a few other spots around Chicago. It features a who's who of Chicago musicians and I, personally, have been digging the music for the past few months.

Their label just put up a web page that is streaming one of the new tracks. If you like it, you can d/l it, free, by signing up for the label's mailing list.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave this a listen, it was pretty fun. I remember when these guys were just kids. I need to crack open that Ms LP I have that I never got around to listening to, which I bought when they toured with Centromatic.

LouieB

I gave this a listen, it was pretty fun. I remember when these guys were just kids. I need to crack open that Ms LP I have that I never got around to listening to, which I bought when they toured with Centromatic.

LouieB

The only time I was able to catch The M's live was when they opened for Wilco at The Vic in Chicago on 12-Jun-2004.

The only time I was able to catch The M's live was when they opened for Wilco at The Vic in Chicago on 12-Jun-2004.

Yup, I saw that and talked to them on the sidewalk outside and then bought their first CD. I think I also saw them at the Hideout Block Party one year and then at Schubas with Centromatic. They had a good run.

LouieB

I'm a big M's fan and I love that Walter & Wendell album! Lou, definitely give your M's album a listen! Great stuff. The kind of albums you put on and just leave running on repeat. :music Which album do you have?

I fell for the M's when they opened for Wilco, and later was lucky enough to catch them at some very fun club shows in L.A.

Future Women maybe? I need to go dig it out of the not yet listened to pile.

LouieB

Ah, that's an incredible album! Some of the songs will grab you straight off, and the others are growers that you'll find yourself humming until they won't leave your head. The best kind of earworms!

I've just gotten the cd out and popped it on. So good! :music

Oh, in case you didn't notice (and since it was mentioned in the GloNo article), yes...both Joey and Steve were/are members of the Wilco crew.

Steve Versaw has been part of the Wilco crew since 2007 I believe. He's currently Production Manager, and when on the road, he's also Monitor Engineer. Steve was also a long-time sound engineer at Schubas Tavern in Chicago. Nicest sound guy (next to Stan of course, right Stan?) that you'll ever meet.

Joey King was guitar tech on recent tours, though not sure when he started working on the Wilco crew.

Another bit of Wilco crew trivia. Back in December 2008 when Kotche missed one show opening up for Neil Young in Toronto, they had various people sitting in on drums. I know that Steve was one of the drummers.

Thank you to everyone who took some time to listen to the stream and a few of you who have bought it. Big thanks!

Ah, that's an incredible album! Some of the songs will grab you straight off, and the others are growers that you'll find yourself humming until they won't leave your head. The best kind of earworms!

I've just gotten the cd out and popped it on. So good! :music

Actually the LP I have that remains unopened (I wonder if the download is still good) is Real Close Ones.

LouieB