The Bangles - Sweetheart of the Sun: out tomorrow!

q53939gw66d.jpg

No stars yet at AllMusic, but the fact that the album was produced by Matthew Sweet and then this statement in the review text has me really excited to hear this:

The record brims with jangling guitars, tough lead guitar work from Vicki Peterson, rich vocal harmonies, and a layered, live sound that sounds really, really good (and almost exactly what you’d hope the band who recorded All Over the Place in 1984 would sound like 25-plus-years later).... The combo of songs, performance, and sound means that anyone who was saddened by the glitz pop turn the band took post-All Over the Place could look at Sweetheart as the true follow-up to their debut.

Now I'm actually a bit excited about this.

Heard a review of the record on NPR yesterday, with clips of the songs. They sound great, just liked I hoped they would. The Vicki Petersen-penned tunes sounded especially impressive.

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked this up with a gift card that I had.

About 3 songs in now and the sound of it is the sound that I love to hear from the band. We'll have to see if the songs are as strong as I hope.

Here's the leadoff/title track from the record. I like it a lot. Very Big Star.: