Fast forward to the future...

John Fogerty is playing at the amphitheater in my hometown tonight. I can hear him quite clearly, from my backyard bonfire. So here's what I'm imagining...

Fast forward maybe 20-25 years... you've just bought a ticket to see Jeff Tweedy solo at your local small music venue. It's a good while since Wilco toured, but Jeff still keeps the flame burning. How weird is it to think of that?? A friend of mine at work used to be a HUGE fan of The Band and she went to see Rick Danko play at a small bar in our town, many years later. She hugged him and told him he'd been her favorite singer in The Band, probably her favorite singer ever. And now he's dead.

It's just so bizarre to think about what will happen far off in the future... will we still be listening to Wilco in our compression hose and hearing aids? NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT! It's just I can hear those people, a couple miles away, cheering for John Fogerty and I'm wondering if that will be me in 20 years, cheering for Jeff Tweedy. Time is a strange companion.

p.s. a similar moment struck me, while listening to Nick Lowe sing "Cruel to Be Kind" opening for Wilco in September, and I was thinking about how when I was a kid and that song came out (3rd grade maybe? 4th?), I really liked it. And I never imagined listening to the artist that wrote it, singing it 20 yards from me. Thirty-odd years hence.

Edit: Funny, these musings seemed very profound and interesting last night after a few beers. Just goes to show you, Moosehead does not a philosopher make!