No talk of the new Paul Weller?

I only bring this up because

A: He is a well-established favorite of many on the board

B: He has a new album

C: Said new album is getting raves.

r63238tqcx7.jpg

Take the title of Sonik Kicks as literally as that of its predecessor' date=' the galvanizing 2010 Wake Up the Nation. Sonik Kicks delivers upon its titular promise immediately, coming to life with the stuttering electronic pulse of "Green," which immediately sweeps into a brightly colored psychedelic chorus, one of many dense collages and sudden shifts Paul Weller offers on his 11th solo album. Some of this contains echoes of the sprawling, picturesque double-album 22 Dreams, the 2008 record that began his latter-day renaissance, but Weller is determined not to repeat himself on Sonik Kicks, pushing himself into startling fresh territory with abandon. What's striking about the record is how much mileage he gets by rearranging old tropes, finding freshness in familiar sounds twisted so heavily they no longer sound comfortable. Aside from a slight hint of Krautrock, filtered through Berlin-era Bowie, there's no unexpected new sound or style here, but Sonik Kicks vibrates with vitality, Weller and his co-producer Simon Dine finding unexpected connections and crevices within his signature vintage soul, mod rock, and progressive folk. As good as these songs are -- and they are, whether it's the sly self-laceration of "That Dangerous Age" or the gentle sway of "By the Waters" -- what truly defines Sonik Kicks is, well, its aural stimulation. This is a record that buzzes with ideas, it's giddy with the noise it makes, and once its initial rush fades away, it still has plenty to offer in substantive songs and sheer sonic pleasure.[/quote']

Anyone have it? Any thoughts? I may have to pick this one up soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I was totally not into the Wake Up The Nation CD, and based on the sound clips I have heard, I will take a pass on this one. I love most of his stuff from the Style Council days through As Is Now, but I just don't like the direction he has taken since then. Not production-wise, not song-wise. Not at all. Happy if someone else digs it, but I don't.

I have the feeling that Paul Weller is just not old enough to get the late career bump and consideration for his stature as an aging rock star. Naybe when the dude hits his 60s or so he will ge tte same kind of consideration that a NIck Lowe is getting. Meanwhile he's just another aging new-vaver not yet re-hipped. I still do like the old Jam records though. We had a bunch of them for sale at the CHIRP record sale and I don't believe there was any interest in any of them by today's youth.

LoueiB