Happy Mother's Day to all moms out there! Did you get breakfast in bed? Any sweet presents? Flowers?

I've been meaning to start a parenting thread, so this is a good opportunity to do that. Do you have kids? What are the best and most challenging aspects of parenting for you?

This morning my daughter gave me a homemade necklace. My son made me a book about spiders--he drew the pictures and had me transcribe his sentences about spiders onto the pages. They are 5 and 6 years old and aspiring zoologists!

My husband and I didn't think we wanted kids for the longest time. I don't know if it was midlife crisis, biological timeclock, or what, but nearly 10 years ago, after nearly 15 years of marriage, we decided to try. I'm so glad we did, since they are so much fun, very artistic, curious and smart, with great senses of humor.

The challenges: Bedtime! Both are night owls like their Mom who is nocturnal by nature but, though, is exhausted these days after a long day of parenting and referreeing two kids. Plus, there's my flagging middle age energy level as an "old" mom. I had them when I was in my late 30s, and it's clear that parenting is a younger person's game for the energy level alone! :twitchsmile There are benefits to being an Old Mom, though; I'm probably more patient than I would have been 10 years ago and realize the value of spending a lot of time with them.

Happy Mothers Day to you too, Michelle, and to all the hard-working moms out there! That last paragraph you wrote totally speaks to me! I had my first at 31, middle child at 35, and my last at 40. I wouldn't change it, for so many reasons, but I'll admit that sometimes it's a real struggle keeping up with their energy levels.

I was reminded powerfully of their younger days last night, since yesterday Brennan (now 21) brought home a tiny black-and-white chihuahua he'd found running loose on a busy downtown street. Collarless, of course. Then daughter Alissa went to spend the night at her oldest brother's place, and Brennan went out to a friend's for much of the night....and Mom (me) stayed up half the night with a whiny baby! (Oh but she is so sweet....I say that even with this deep sleep deprivation. Must nap...)

To every mother out there who has ever loved enough to willingly put herself second, and felt joy herself when her children felt joy, or heartache when they were sad, I salute you. It's genuinely the hardest, but most rewarding, job in the world.

You are in my heart & thoughts today, Mom.:wub