Cooperstown Venue - Performing and Camping at a Brewery?

Does anyone know the setup at Cooperstown? My understanding is that they are playing at a microbrewey and you can camp on the premises as well - that is what I am intending to do (I have the camping tickets)...Sounds really cool and looking forward to it but can't quite picture the setup...

Has anyone ever been to a show here and can report on what to expect?

Thanks.

Dave

I saw the Avetts there last year and besides the torrential downpour it was great. It is essentially a field on a small hill with a stage at the bottom. Just an FYI, the beer is STRONG, as my friend realized a little too late. They had good food vendors. The camping was right there between the parking and the field. But, hopefully the weather will be nice. The brewery is only 10 years old or so, maybe a little older, but it is beautiful. I don't remember if they were open for tours that day, but it is fun to walk through and see the facility. Ommegang is a true to form Belgian style brewery that was independent until it was bought by Duvel a few years ago. It is a few miles outside the village of Cooperstown, but if you have some extra time, the Farmers Museum, the Hall of Fame, and a drink on the terrace overlooking the lake at The Otesaga Inn are all worth it. A fun place for lunch right on the lake is The Blue Mingo.

Thanks, Rasberry...

So, if I get there in the evening and leave at the sun up the next morning...I am guessing I just rely on the food onsite and not have to bring anything in....

When you say the camping is between the parking and the field - is that like a direct line between the two? We're going to have folks walking back and forth between the tents?

Thanks, Rasberry...

So, if I get there in the evening and leave at the sun up the next morning...I am guessing I just rely on the food onsite and not have to bring anything in....

When you say the camping is between the parking and the field - is that like a direct line between the two? We're going to have folks walking back and forth between the tents?

No, it's a cordoned off area adjacent to both. Imagine a triangle. At least that's how it was last year for the Avetts. I really felt bad for the campers with the rain that night!

Melinda, there's a few campgrounds nearby - Gilbert Lake State Park and Belvedere Lake might still have open sites. Glimmerglass Lake State Park is already sold out. Probably better off not at Ommegang, as they don't have any facilities there for campers. The others have nice lakes for swimming too.

-Rob

Melinda, there's a few campgrounds nearby - Gilbert Lake State Park and Belvedere Lake might still have open sites. Glimmerglass Lake State Park is already sold out. Probably better off not at Ommegang, as they don't have any facilities there for campers. The others have nice lakes for swimming too.

-Rob

Thanks for the tip, Rob. I had no interest in camping but since it's proving so difficult to find anything reasonable nearby camping at Ommegang suddenly seemed like a viable option. Maybe they'll have cancellations or no-shows and I can worm my way in. If I have to drive (and therefore cannot drink) I wouldn't bother with camping at all and might just drive right to Essex Jct or sleep in the Echo. Everything else in planning this trip has been super smooth but I blew it big time for night 1!

Oh, sorry - looks like they do offer bathrooms and water, but no showers.

I would love to go to this show, as this is one of my favorite breweries. The Beers are strong, so if you like to drink keep to their lighter White Ales, like the WHIT or the BPA. Some of their other beers like RARE VOS, Three Philospders, are around 8-10% in Alcohol content, so you are drinking about 3 beers to every 1 Budwesier.

No tours are ok - I am assuming that it will be open though once the gates open at 4pm though...Planning on getting there around that time, setting up the tent and then just hanging around until the music starts...

PACK YOUR RAINGEAR!!!!

I just spoke with an Ommegang admin. She said camping is mostly open field and about a 3-5 minute walk from parking. No assigned sites etc. No fires.

Bathrooms are close by.

The only issue is the parking lot filling up. If that happens then an overflow lot in town is used and shuttles run folks back and forth. Not ideal if you are camping. She said try to get there by 5pm to avoid being sent to overflow.

There are food vendors aplenty and lots of Ommegang Beer. Most of their beer is 7% or stronger and Belgian yeasts can leave you feeling a bit ragged the next day if you over consume.

NWS Albany forecast for Cooperstown area:

• Saturday Scattered showers and thunderstorms before 9am, then scattered showers between 9am and noon, then scattered showers and thunderstorms after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 79. Calm wind becoming north around 6 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
  • Saturday Night Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 58. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

There shouldn't be any prolonged periods of rain and the chances of heavy are much better early in the day so just plan accordingly if you are camping.

Couldn't be any rainier than Solid Sound II lol.