Mavis Staples - 10/7/14 - Union Chapel, London

Such a joy to behold.

It is a fantastic little venue and indeed this was where JT performed last time he was solo in London.

I had watched a Lance Armstrong documentary that day (a day which for me had been universally terrible for a variety of reasons), and I came out feeling like I'd received a shot of Mavis EPO.

Who else can drop The Weight just into the middle of a setlist, and for the first time ever there was no tedium for me in an obligatory 'introduce the band' segment - Mavis's voice has such character that it does not matter what she's saying.

I liked the fact that the whole charade of an encore was bypassed simply by Mavis and her sister taking a seat towards the back whilst her 3 piece band took center stage for a couple of instrumentals - one of which featured the quietest electric guitar solo I have witnessed - but just as intense. Perhaps those who have seen them will know what I mean. Even whilst sitting those songs out there was the occasional grunt or whoop of encouragement from Mavis that was audible without a mic.

I did not catch the real name of the female backing singer that Mavis nicknames 'Squeaky', but I wish I could bottle her smile.

I forget the context, but when describing how happy she was feeling, she did reference 'that little guy' (i.e. Pharrell) and sang a snippet from his song, which was very amusing.

I would choose March Up Freedom Highway as my favourite from the night, but the final I'll Take You There with full audience participation was truly memorable. Maybe I'm just not seeing the right bands these days (and I'm no longer a spring chicken), but this took me back to many years past when audiences were really emotionally engaged with the artists performing in front of them.

I really hope I get the chance to see her again.

I don't think I can write the bare facts better than as summed up in this review below, but I can just reiterate how wonderful last night was.

http://thevinylword.blogspot.co.uk/

There can be no more appropriate venue for the gospel styled soul of Mavis Staples than the Union Chapel in Islington, where she performed to great acclaim last night. This 19th century Gothic revival church, with its dome, stained glass windows, gallery, wooden pews and stone pulpit, provided the perfect back drop for Mavis and her band, drenched in gospel fervour as her voice still is. Backed by three background singers, including her sister and fellow former Staple Singers member Yvonne, drummer Jeff Turmes, guitarist Rick Holstrom with something of the Pops Staples sound about his playing, and a tall, bespectacled bass player named Stephen Hodges who could be a stand in for Richard Osman, Mavis showed that her gruff, exciting vocal style is undimished by the years. She had the audience in the palm of her hand with her professionalism, showmanship and Southern gospel approach as she ran through a selection of Staples Singers hits, more recent solo numbers and some uplifting classics which suited her perfectly. It was her 75th birthday which was celebrated with an impromptu rendition of Happy Birthday To You by the audience and it was clear she was enjoying herself. 'I'm 16" she said.

Starting with the Staple Singers' Come Go With Me, she followed up with Buffalo Springfield's For What It's Worth, the gospel number He's Alright and I Like The Things About Me, from her recent album One True Vine. Next came another Staples classic Respect Yourself, You're Not Alone, from her 2010 album of the same name, and a truly stupendous version of the Band's The Weight. Absolutely glorious.

Next came March Up Freedom Highway, written by the patriarch of the Staple Singers Pops Staples in 1962 at the time of the civil rights march from Selma to Montgomery, which Mavis took part in, and Little Milton's We're Gonna Make It. After an instrumental break, during which the two guitarists performed one number each (Summertime and Soul Serenade) Mavis and the other singers were back and pumped things up still further with the wonderful Let's Do It Again. Finally it was time for the Staples' classic I'll Take You There, with the audience on their feet repeating the phrase again and again as Mavis showed that even at 75 she can create more excitement than most performers half her age. A great evening's entertainment.

A ton of photos here (though they seem to be press photos so perhaps will have security added soon and locked down ...)

http://press.otherimages.com/search/text/serie:2947742647:mavis-staples-performs-at-union-chapel-london:5007

Someone videoed the finale - I'll Take You There:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQqEB-sV26E

Also, an interesting comment at the end for those going to the Newport Festival:-

http://www.bigissue.com/the-mix/news/4069/mavis-staples-interview-my-greatest-moment-meeting-martin-luther-king

Mavis Staples talks presidents, the 'presence' of Martin Luther King - and Bob Dylan's marriage proposal

Mavis Staples is a true music icon. Adored by Bob Dylan and Martin Luther King, and a childhood friend of Aretha Franklin, Staples was a pioneer in propelling gospel music into American popular culture more than half a century ago.

A soul goddess, Mavis has delivered an eye-opening Letter To My Younger Self in this week’s Big Issue, reflecting on turning down a marriage proposal from “little Bobby” Dylan, and the impact that meeting Martin Luther King had upon her as a young woman growing up in Chicago at the height of the civil rights movement.

Mavis – who turns 75 today – has sang for countless presidents, from JFK to Obama, but insists no one compared to Dr King, revealing that she “wanted to go on with him” after hearing of his assassination on April 4, 1968.

“If I could relive one day it would be when I first met Dr Martin Luther King,” she told The Big Issue.

“It was the early '60s, we just happened to be in Montgomery, Alabama, and Pops [Roebuck ‘Pops’ Staples, Mavis’ father] took us to the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church. Dr King said, ‘We are glad to have Pops Staples and his daughters here this morning’, and boy that felt so good. Pops told us that he liked this man’s message and that ‘if he can preach it, we can sing it’.

“From then we began writing freedom songs. We started marching with Dr King, we’d sing Why (Am I Treated So Bad) before he spoke at the meetings.

“I’ve met presidents – Obama, Clinton, Carter, I even met President Kennedy – but none of them topped Dr King. If I could go back and do that all over again, God have mercy, I certainly would.

“To meet this great man, shake his hand, to be in his presence. For him to love our music, I can’t ever forget that. I can’t ever live that down. That was my greatest moment.

“I last saw him was a month before he was assassinated. When we lost Dr King I thought I just wanted to go on with him. He was such a great man.”

On Bob Dylan’s failed marriage proposal in the early '60s, Staples said: “Bob and I became very close. He was just a little folk singer when we first met, an average kid, but he knew the Staples Singers.

“He asked me to marry him but I told him I wasn’t old enough. Neither of my sisters were married so I couldn’t jump the gun. I did like Bobby, he was real cute with his curly hair. I admired him so much for his writing. I thought he was a genius.”

Staples is in London tonight (Thursday July 10) for a one-off concert at the Union Chapel to celebrate her 75th birthday. However, with a personal party also lined up back home, she revealed that old pal Bob is proving elusive.

“We still talk, we run into each other and chit chat. I’ve been trying to reach him so I can invite him to my birthday party at Newport Rhode Island. A lot of my friends are coming, I’ll sing with them, and if Bobby comes I’ll sing with him. We could sing, 'Knock, knock, knockin’ on heaven’s door' together.”