A friend of mine is opening his restaurant next week

I have not lived up there for 20 years but didn't Highwood used to have a bunch of small restaraunts? Very small places with ten tables? Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Also good luck to him, that's a tough business,

Yup. A lot of those are gone now, but there are still quite a few restaurants.

My Yelp review:

My wife and I went to the preview last night and were more than impressed. Beautifully renovated room, with exposed brick, a gorgeous bar, and large front windows that let in wonderful natural light, when the sun is up.
But the real star is the food. A crispy eggplant appetizer with chili sauce, herbed ricotta, and honeycomb struck the perfect balance of spicy (but not too spicy), creamy, and sweet--a creative, fantastic play on eggplant parmesan.
Braised short rib with espresso-roasted carrots, watercress, and raw carrot salad was hearty, satisfying, and fall-apart tender. And the rainbow trout with carmelized apples, crispy cauliflower, brussles sprouts, and white wine sauce was bright and delicious.
Also, despite it being a pre-opening dinner, the service was cheerful, friendly, and very knowledgeable... giving us great suggestions!
Just... go!