New(Old)Dr. Dog-The Psychedelic Swamp!

Releases on Feb 5th, 2016

The Psychedelic Swamp is Dr. Dog's ninth album, and fourth studio release with ANTI- Records. Most of the songs were among the first ever written together by Scott McMicken and Toby Leaman and an assemblage of friends and musical cohorts that would evolve as Dr. Dog over the years. This early endeavor of writing a concept album helped shape their creative process as they became a label-defying multi-hyphenated indie-psychedelic-rock-folk-Americana-basement-touring band.

The Psychedelic Swamp could very well have been Dr. Dog's first album. It could have been their only album; or it could have never been made at all. It's either a refined culmination of 15 years of collaborative music-making or the raw instrument on which they cut their teeth. This chicken vs. egg debate will be for historians to decide; fact is that if The Psychedelic Swamp was half-baked back in 2000, it has been reborn in 2016, fully baked!

Track Listing:

1. Golden Hind
  2. Dead Record Player
  3. Swampadelic Pop
  4. Bring My Baby Back
  5. Holes In My Back
  6. Fire on My Back
  7. Swamp Descent
  8. Engineer Says
  9. In Love
  10. (swamp inflammation)
  11. Badvertise
  12. Good Grief
  13. Swamp is On

L045778740628.JPG

"Badvertise" 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miJm97Epe7M

"Bring My Baby Back"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AVEwNjD2jw

Pre-Order here:

http://kingsroadmerch.com/anti-records/?id=1902&sid=2355

In the waning days of our previous millennium, an envelope arrived at the Dr. Dog Bungalow. Initially misplaced among credit card solicitations and clothing catalogs, it had no postage and smelled of a fusty funk, as if it had once been wet. The return address said simply “Phrases from the Psychedelic Swap.”

Inside was a cassette tape. “Play me,” it said, and “Play Me,” didn’t mean simply “Listen to Me,” but literally “Play Me!” It was a call to action, urging Dr. Dog to record a great pop album.

The message was from Phrases, who they learned, was a man who had been neither happy nor sad, neither success nor failure, during his time on Earth. He just kind of was. Or wasn’t. Was or wasn’t, depending. In his quest for satisfaction, he found himself susceptible to hollow promises and life in the Psychedelic Swamp, a refracted reflection of reality, gave Phrases all that he was looking for. Music took on new dimensions. Food tasted better. Love was sweeter. At least initially. The swamp was draped heavily with abstraction, where there was nothing too garbled, random or chaotic to be separated from the absolute need for meaning.

But soon the same old hollowness crept back into his soul. The romance of harvesting dry rot and herding acorn weevils under the swamp’s moon-sun had dulled into a humdrum kind of workaday existence. He began to regret his decision to leave Earth for the Psychedelic Swamp. Things were not really better there, only different. Remember what the old swamp folks say: The bladderwort is always yellower on the other side of the schist. This was his epiphany. Life, flawed as it is, is meant to embraced.

This is great news! I caught two of the Psychedelic Swamp shows in Philly with the fantastic performance art group (troupe? groupe?)  Pig Iron Theater and it was truly original both sonically and visually (I gushed somewhere in VC after the shows). Can't wait for this release!

This is great news! I caught two of the Psychedelic Swamp shows in Philly with the fantastic performance art group (troupe? groupe?)  Pig Iron Theater and it was truly original both sonically and visually (I gushed somewhere in VC after the shows). Can't wait for this release!

I got to see all 4 of the 'Swamp Is On' Shows and it truly was one of the best things I've seen in a very long time. After seeing Dr. Dog countless times, they have yet to disappoint, same goes for all their studio releases. I've been waiting and looking forward to this release for at least the last 8 years. I can't wait! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...