I Am Trying To Break Your Heart: A Film About Wilco Screening on December 17

Hi all, 

I moved to Chicago last year and I'm a massive Wilco fan. I co-run a collective called Culture Canon, which presents film and other media during live events to incite conversations about popular culture.

Culture Canon just announced a screeening of I Am Trying To Break Your Heart: A Film About Wilco, which will take place on Tuesday, December 17 at Virgin Hotels Chicago during the band’s winter residency at Chicago Theatre that week.

The poster for the event (attached below) was created by NDTank, a West Virginia-based designer and artist that has created concert posters for Wilco, Neko Case, and Calexico as well as other visuals for KEXP, Reckless Kelly, and High Five Festival. A limited-edition screen print of the poster will be available for purchase to those attending the screening on December 17. 

More details -- including a Wilco concert ticket giveaway for their December 15 show at Chicago Theatre -- are below.

More surprises are in store for the event as well, so if you have any interest in being there, let me know and I would love to meet some of you on December 17.

Thanks, 

Dan

CHICAGO AND NYC-BASED CULTURE CANON TO SCREEN WILCO DOCUMENTARY AT VIRGIN HOTELS CHICAGO

WHO: Culture Canon, a collective based in New York and Chicago, incites conversations about key artifacts from popular culture by bringing together film, music, literature and other forms of media at events that celebrate the fundamentally social nature of curation and consumption. 

Virgin Hotels Chicago is the first property from Virgin Hotels - the lifestyle hospitality brand that combines heartfelt service, straightforward value and a seamless, personalized hotel experience with the track record of innovation and smart disruption that Sir Richard Branson's global Virgin Group has pioneered for over 40 years. The property mixes a passion for food and beverage with music and culture, fusing with the local landscape and providing a vibrant and inclusive environment for travelers and locals alike. 

WHAT: A screening of I Am Trying To Break Your Heart: A Film About Wilco, the documentary that chronicles the Chicago-based band’s recording of their massively-influential album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Initially to be released by Reprise Records, executives at Warner Music Group deemed Yankee Hotel Foxtrot to be too artistically ambitious to be commercially viable when the band delivered final masters to the label in 2001. The album was finally released in 2002 by Nonesuch Records (another subsidiary of Warner Music Group) after the band reacquired masters to the album from Reprise. The film follows the band as they wrestle with a shifting lineup, the rising influence of the internet on the music industry, and the myths surrounding the record’s recording and release that have made Wilco a mainstay in popular culture. More programming details will be released in the leadup to the event.

WHERE: The Manor at Virgin Hotels Chicago, 203 N. Wabash Ave., Chicago, IL 60601 

WHEN: Tuesday, December 17, doors at 7:00 p.m., event at 7:30 p.m. (Note that this event will take place on Wilco’s night off during their four-night winter residency at the Chicago Theatre)

TICKETS: Tickets are available via Eventbrite for $12 for general admission and $35 for general admission and a limited edition poster designed by NDTank.