Just got by tickets for Boston!

The Magnetic Fields are happy to announce that they will be touring early next year in support of their forthcoming album, "Realism," which will be out on Nonesuch Records on January 26, 2010. The US and Canadian tour dates will take place in February and March.

General tickets will be on sale starting this Friday, November 20. Check the calendar on the band's website for full details regarding on-sale dates, venues, and ticket pricing:

http://houseoftomorrow.com/calendar/

A limited number of pre-sale tickets will also be available starting Tuesday, November 17 through MusicToday:

http://magneticfields.musictoday.com/

Be advised that MusicToday only sells a small number of pre-sale tickets for each show, made available to subscribers of this list, our website, and by word of mouth. Feel free to pass this info to your friends! When MusicToday's allotment runs out, you will still be able to purchase tickets through the ticket resellers listed on the tour calendar page, starting on or around

November 20.

After their US and Canada dates, the band will be heading to Europe for a string of dates in mid- to late-March. Currently there is one show, at London's Barbican Centre, available for pre-sales this week through ArtistTicket:

http://www.artistticket.com/link/?s=the+magnetic+fields

Stay tuned for news regarding further itineraries and on-sale dates for the European tour, coming soon.

We hope to see you soon! Many thanks.

-- The Magnetic Fields

---------------------------------------------------

THE MAGNETIC FIELDS - 2010 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR

February 4 (Thu)

WASHINGTON, DC

Lisner Auditorium @ George Washington University

February 6 (Sat)

MONTREAL, QC

Corona Theatre

February 8 (Mon)

TORONTO, ON

Queen Elizabeth Theatre

February 10 (Wed) & February 11 (Thu)

BOSTON, MA

Wilbur Theatre

February 13 (Sat)

BROOKLYN, NY

Howard Gilman Opera House @ BAM

February 21 (Sun) & February 22 (Mon)

PORTLAND, OR

The Aladdin Theater

February 23 (Tue) & February 24 (Wed)

SEATTLE, WA

Town Hall Seattle

February 27 (Sat)

OAKLAND, CA

The Fox Theater

March 1 (Mon)

SAN FRANCISCO, CA

Herbst Theatre

March 2 (Tue)

LOS ANGELES, CA

Wilshire Ebell Theatre

March 4 (Thu)

MILWAUKEE, WI

Pabst Theatre

March 5 (Fri)

BLOOMINGTON, IN

Buskirk Chumley Theater

March 6 (Sat)

ST. LOUIS, MO

The Pageant

March 7 (Sun)

CHICAGO, IL

Harris Theater @ Millenium Park

March 10 (Wed) & March 11 (Thu)

NEW YORK, NY

Town Hall

March 22 (Mon)

LONDON UK ** Full Europe itinerary coming soon **

Barbican Centre

Cool! Looking forward to the new album and tour.

• 2 months later...

I mentioned this in the NP thread but so far I like - but don't love - the album. And it is growing on me the more I listen to it. It definitely has some great melodies mixed in and some classic Merritt clever lyrics, but some of it just seems like filler.

I am seeing them next week so I'll report back. I remember liking the stuff from Distortion more live than on disc so maybe the same will eb true for this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the show last night in Boston and it was really really good. They played stuff from their entire career, closing with a nice version of their first single, 100,000 Fireflies. As hoped, I liked the new stuff more live than I do on CD. Except for Claudia Gonson's plugged in keyboard it was all acoustic. And, as always, there was a lot of funny banter between Merritt and Claudia.

• 1 year later...

New Magnetic Fields album out in March.

US, Canada, and European tour dates announced and many pre-sale tickets are on sale:

http://www.houseoftomorrow.com/

March 6 - HUDSON, NY | Helsinki Hudson

March 7 - PHILADELPHIA, PA | Union Transfer

March 11 - MINEHEAD, UK | All Tomorrow's Parties

March 14, 15, 16 - AUSTIN, TX | SXSW

March 18 - VANCOUVER, BC | The Vogue

March 19 - SEATTLE, WA | Neptune Theater

March 20 - SEATTLE, WA | Neptune Theater

March 21 - PORTLAND, OR | Roseland Theater

March 23 - LOS ANGELES, CA | Orpheum Theater

March 24 - OAKLAND, CA | Fox Theater

March 26 - CHICAGO, IL | Vic Theater

March 27 - CHICAGO, IL | Vic Theater

March 28 - IOWA CITY, IA | Englert Theater

March 30 - TORONTO ONT | Sound Academy

March 31 - MONTREAL, QUE | Le National

April 3 - NEW YORK, NY | Beacon Theater

April 6 - BOSTON, MA | Berklee Performance Center

April 7 - BOSTON, MA | Berklee Performance Center

April 9 - WASHINGTON, DC | The 930 Club

April 11 - CARRBORO, NC | Cat's Cradle

April 12 - CARRBORO, NC | Cat's Cradle

April 14 - ATLANTA, GA | Variety Playhouse

24 April - BRIGHTON, UK | Komedia

25 April - LONDON, UK | Royal Festival Hall

27 April - MANCHESTER, UK | Royal Northern College of Music

28 April - DUBLIN, IRELAND | Olympia

29 April - CORK, IRELAND | Cork Opera House

1 May - PORTO, PORTUGAL

2 May - LISBON, PORTUGAL

9 May - OSLO, NORWAY | Rockefeller (Tickets on sale 17 Dec.)

11 May - GOTHENBURG, SWEDEN | Annedalskyrkan

12 May - STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN | Filadelfiakyrkan

14 May - BERLIN, GERMANY | Passionskirche

15 May - HAMBURG, GERMANY | Kampnagel K6

16 May - AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS | De Duif

One of my favorite groups, that is good news.

• 2 weeks later...

I only started buying their music with Distortion and then ordered Realism early from Nonesuch and got an autographed poster.

I have wanted 69 Love Songs for years, but for some reason the price on the album seems to fluctuate like the stock exchange on Amazon. Very weird for such an old album.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Did anyone else know about the new Stephen Merritt unreleased songs/ b-side collection called 'Obscurities?' It's got some great tunes on it from his various projects (6ths, MF, Gothic Archies and solo stuff.) I'm loving the 7" version of 'I Don't Believe You' and the Susan Amway version of 'Take Ecstacy With Me.'

Did anyone else know about the new Stephen Merritt unreleased songs/ b-side collection called 'Obscurities?' It's got some great tunes on it from his various projects (6ths, MF, Gothic Archies and solo stuff.) I'm loving the 7" version of 'I Don't Believe You' and the Susan Amway version of 'Take Ecstacy With Me.'

Yeah - it came out about a year ago. As you said, there is some great stuff on it. Beyond the two you mentioned, my faves are Plant White Roses (which Kelly Hogan just recorded) and Rats In the Garbage of the Western World.

Yeah - it came out about a year ago. As you said, there is some great stuff on it. Beyond the two you mentioned, my faves are Plant White Roses (which Kelly Hogan just recorded) and Rats In the Garbage of the Western World.

How did I miss this?! His solo songs on this collection aren't too bad either. I much prefer them over anything that is on 'Showtunes.'

• 7 years later...
  • 4 months later...

His 2020 album has all short songs, I believe. He likes to do those 'gimmicks.' I bought the recent record with a song about each year of his life, and it's so daunting that I still haven't listened to it. I did eventually get 69 Love Songs and I don't think I ever listened to it all, just because of the task of doing it. Ha. I also do this with deluxe editions of albums I love - I love the albums so much that i want to hear the other stuff, too, but there's so much I don't get around to it. Maybe I'm the only one.

I do like the new one Quickies.  (And yes, it's 28 songs over 46 minutes with the shortest being 17 seconds and the longest being 2:35.)

I'm mixed on the 50 Song Memoir.  I think it has some of their best stuff ever but it also has some filler.