Anyone into wiring their own stompboxes...

A while back I got into studying stompboxes, circuits, and the like, and decided to get into making my own. I wanted to recreate the sounds of some of my favorites but at the same time, add some things that I felt were missing, like more control over EQ or a noise gate. I discovered a website that serves as a database of schematics for various stompboxes, filters, and amps. This made me wonder, could I ever build an amp from these schematics? I'd love an AC30 like Jeff's, or maybe an SVT to match John's. So, anyone ever given any thought to something similar?

Well, I'm not expert in the matter but I tried to make a headphone amplifier awhile back. I don't know whether my schematic just sucked or if my soidering abilities are subpar, but either way it sounded like shit. It had a "gain" button that made the terrible sound even more terrible!!! But you know, that's just me! I'm sure you'll have better luck.

Are you going to build everything or buy certain parts, like the power suppley? I had to build a power supply, and let me just say, that's a terrible boring thing to build.

I've never tried anything like that, but I have a modded pedal that I like quite a bit. Seems like an interesting thing to get into, but I'm mechanically challenged. You might look for a book by a guy called Craig Anderton; he used to write a column in Guitar Player magazine about wiring your own stomp boxes. I've not really read the mag since the 80s, so I don't know if he still writes for them, but at the time he was sort of the guru of this sort of stuff.

Guitar Player is a great magazine for gear reviews... and basically everything else. Guitar World has pretty much turned into the Spin or Blender of Guitar magazines.

Anyway, yeah, Anderton still contributes, but it's mostly just gear reviews. However, I bought a fairly well-written book from http://www.indyguitarist.com about wiring a while back and that's what I've been using for a guide. I may look into the Craig Anderton stuff, though, thanks! Oh yeah, what part of Knoxville are you from, Bolivar?

Halcyon, I'm not too sure I want to build my power supply. I figured I'd buy one pre-made, that way I'd no for a fact that any problems in the amp would be in the actual amp-- just one less thing to screw up I guess. Everything else, though, will be for me to do.

Thanks giantsteps.. I've been to small bear, and plan to use them to buy parts; I'll check the other two out right now. Are you a Coltrane fan, too?

Livingston is about 100 miles west of Knoxville, Bolivar. If you've ever been in/around Spencer, Sparta, or Cookeville, you've been fairly close. I was just in your neck of the woods a while back to see Dylan and Haggard at the Tennessee Theatre.

Thanks giantsteps.. I've been to small bear, and plan to use them to buy parts; I'll check the other two out right now. Are you a Coltrane fan, too?

Livingston is about 100 miles west of Knoxville, Bolivar. If you've ever been in/around Spencer, Sparta, or Cookeville, you've been fairly close. I was just in your neck of the woods a while back to see Dylan and Haggard at the Tennessee Theatre.

yeah i love coltrane. check out mouser.com. you can buy parts there (if you know what you're looking for) for FAR less $$$.

• 1 month later...