Van Morrison - Hampton Court, 23/06/06

Songs I remember are listed below - Wasn't there from the begining as I was playing tennis. There were a couple of songs with a country flavour that must be from his current album when I arrived.

Moondance

Down The Road

Have I Told You Lately - in a sort of bouncy/rollicking Fats Domino style

Bright Side of the Road

A couple of others I recognised but can't remember now.

A nice mix of styles from the country to lounge jazz to NewOrleans jazz to the soulful. Great backing band and singers. Nice appreciative audience. The overall sound was a bit quiet, but the vocals were to the fore in the mix, so it was nice to hear every nuance from Mr Morrison.

These were the final three for a rousing finale that sent everyone home happy:-

Jackie Wilson Said (I'm in Heaven When You Smile)

Brown Eyed Girl

Gloria

There was no encore. Brown Eyed girl was a surprise as I thought he refused to play that, though a check on the web shows that this is no longer the case. Maybe he just goes through periods of being bored with it. Nothing from Astral Weeks - shame, but glad I got to hear Gloria. The only other time I have seen him live properly many years ago (with Georgie Fame on keyboards) I don't remember him playing a single 'hit', so he must have shifted into presenting a more crowd pleasing package these days.

168739878_327b10ca94.jpg?v=0

Basically what I see at these shows when I'm outside (not my picture). I like the chimneys.

One of the very few performers that I have wanted to see, yet never have.

I always imagined that he would have a tight, funky band behind him.

Thanks Andrew.

He is playing on Friday 15 September at Austin City Limits Music Festival

Not that it's near you, but Americans have a different scale of near and far to us, so perhaps you would consider travelling to it?

One of the very few performers that I have wanted to see, yet never have.

Big ditto on that!

Looks like I can get to hear more stuff for free on my doorstep at work, though there's only James Brown and Randy Newman that I would be interested in.

Not a bad pick...

Thanks for sharing. I've gotta see Van one of these days!