Belle and Sebastian with orchestra

Anyone else see this show at the Hollywood Bowl? It was pretty sweet.

The Shins started out playing hits from their first two albums, as well as a couple new songs. Their playing was excellent, although their sound was a bit small for the huge venue. Also, their lead singer is not what I would call an entertainer. He sings and plays lead guitar, but no antics and strangely enough he lets the keyboardist make all the jokes in between songs, which is odd for a lead singer.

Not so with Stuart Murdoch of Belle and Sebastian. I have seen B+S a few times, and they are always energetic, but this time they were going wild the whole show. Stuart jumped into the audience multiple times, brought girls on stage to dance with him, and had mascara applied onto him by an audience member while borrowing a dress from another (it was so he could get into mood for a song about crossdressing). He even pranced through the orchestra (the LA philharmonic) which I'm sure was a bit weird for them.

They played alot of stuff from their middle albums (especially Fold Your Hands Child....) because I think those songs probably make more sense orchestrated. Whatever the reason, it was a great setlist and the orchestra beautifully backed up their songs, adding to an already great live band.

By the end of the concert, the crowd was so into the music the people in front literally rushed onto the stage to start dancing with the band. Probably about 30 people or so on the actually stage and lots more on the raised up part that encircles the "premier section". Stuart said something to the effect "its fine, just don't mess up the musicians", but the security tossed people off the stage anyhow. Still, it was a sign of how much fun people at the concert were having.

Anyone else make it out there? It looked like half the indie crowd of LA was there; the place was completely sold out (I havent seen it that crowded since Radiohead in '03)

Guest Jules

Sounds like a good one. I'm a big Shins fan, but you're right about lead singer James Mercer being pretty quiet and reserved. However, what he lacks in stage presence, he makes up for in his songwriting, imo. Even in their Austin City Limits performance, the keyboard/bass player did all the talking and acted as "the leader."

Looking forward to seeing B&S next time they're around the midwest.