my landlord is giving us our last month's rent free and i wanted to thank her. she loves italy so i was thinking an italian wine would be a good thank you gift. any suggestions for a good italian wine, not tooo pricey and readily availble in chicagoland? i know absolutely nothing about wine. please help.

I kind of like the Montepulciano D'Abruzzi, which is red. Pinot grigio is good too, and that's white. Buying wine is sort of like buying stuff on eBay - set a price limit for yourself! And there's always Sambuca, if you want to skip wine altogether and go to the hard stuff. I'm sure there's at least a few people on this board who have more knowledge on this stuff than I do, but my red wine consumption in the past few months is outstripping the per capita consumption of France ... in 1970!

Your landlady must love you!

Dr. Judy's right that going to a wine store and asking advice is a great idea. But I'm very partial to Alleghrini La Grola these days, it's reallly terrific.

If she seems fond of Tuscany, there's a super tuscan called Le Volte that's just shockingly good, everyone I've ever heard of has been raving about it, including and especially myself. And with some advice, a Vino Nobile di Montipulciano will generally be lovely.

Let us know what you come up with!

just go to sam's liquor (over by clybourn and north aves) and ask for help with a price range. they are always very helpful and friendly there. nice idea.

:thumbup This is the correct choice.

Unless she like lighter reds, avoid the barbescas. A nice barolo is a good choice.

Ruffino makes a very nice wine, Riserva du cale. I sold lots of it when I waited tables (like 20 years ago!), and it is readily available.

Another wine shop is on Belmont west of racine (east of shubas) called Howard's. They always have samples available too :wub

:thumbup This is the correct choice.

Unless she like lighter reds, avoid the barbescas. A nice barolo is a good choice.

Ruffino makes a very nice wine, Riserva du cale. I sold lots of it when I waited tables (like 20 years ago!), and it is readily available.

Another wine shop is on Belmont west of racine (east of shubas) called Howard's. They always have samples available too :wub

I agree with the Ruffino. You can't go wrong.

I thnk what she meant to say was.....on what date will you be moving your material posessions from your current abode to new digs? ;)

Well that too, but mostly where. And I don't need an address, a neighborhood is cool :)

yeah, got it now. I took

Actually, the real Q is where you guys are moving....
as a statement. like we're moving someplace called "The Real Q".

nevermind, I'm an idiot.

we're moving down the block, practically next door to the Meritage :throwup

yeah, got it now. I took as a statement. like we're moving someplace called "The Real Q".

nevermind, I'm an idiot.

we're moving down the block, practically next door to the Meritage :throwup

Ha -- it's my wacky shorthand.

Bucktown is a great 'hood though. I lived on Honore/Cortland a few years back (and before that Ukranian Village), and my sis currenly lives on Concord. It's become a bit "thickly settled", but sooo convenient. I miss it.

the last one. at least thats the pronounciation i've always used. it is a wine bar, though, so maybe im wrong!

i havent gotten anything yet, i will probably go to sam's this weekend.. with all these suggestions in hand! then maybe i will even get something for myself. although i will need to buy a corkscrew because we don't even have one.

and we move the 1st of sept (well, we'll be moving crap the whole weekend, taking our time).

so, why is it good for a wine to taste like saddle leather?

It has something to do with "sophistication."