The Raconteurs, Fillmore Denver, CO, 7-16-06

Despite my Kevin Bacon-esque ties to the White Stripes while I lived in Michigan, I had never seen them play live. While the Raconteurs aren't the White Stripes, I can now say that I "get it" when people talk about Jack White playing.

He is a fucking rock lobster.

I will never miss another local show of his ever again, and I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting on news of a new White Stripes tour.

I don't have the entire setlist, but here's what I know they played:

Intro Jam

Intimate Secretary

Level

Steady As She Goes

Together

It Ain't Easy (Bowie)

And then in no particular order...

The rest of Broken Boy Soldiers, minus Call It A Day, plus Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down,) the Sonny Bono song probably most recently heard on the Kill Bill soundtrack, as sung by Nancy Sinatra. There may have been other stuff as well, but I'm not as familiar with their unreleased songs.

Store Bought Bones had an amazing, slowed down keyboard beginning (w/Jack on keyboard) before it was amped up to regular rock type. Blue Veins was long and dirty. Broken Boy Soldier was rockin.

If they are coming to your town, it's certainly worth it to see Jack play live with a full band. My buddy Spuma said that the Raconteurs themselves probably need some more focus as a band, but that baby just loves to rock. I didn't care.

Thanks for the review! i have tickets to the Sept 15 Dallas area gig in my hot little hands. Besides wanting this hot ass summer to end now Sept. 15 can't get here soon enough!

Raconteurs on the 15th and The Flaming Lips on the 16th is my indoor ACL weekend.

I was never a big Stripes fan, but I saw them live and it was a great show. I definitely would recommend that any music fan take the time to check them. As far as the Raconteurs go, I was a little unimpressed by their album, but maybe they are a better live band. I just thought the album was uninspired.

Edited by jdlee23

I was never much of a Stripes fan either but picked "Broken Boy Soldier" up via recommendation from my local indy record clerk.

It is a great summertime groove record. The opening track Steady as She Goes rivals any great fun loving summer track in R&R.

As far as the record being uninspired... from what i have read about the band their inspiration came from their desire as long time friends to play music together.

check it out on their web page under media if you want a taste:

http://www.theraconteurs.com/

Despite my Kevin Bacon-esque ties to the White Stripes while I lived in Michigan, I had never seen them play live. While the Raconteurs aren't the White Stripes, I can now say that I "get it" when people talk about Jack White playing.

He is a fucking rock lobster.

I will never miss another local show of his ever again, and I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting on news of a new White Stripes tour.

:thumbup

I'm looking forward to seeing the Raconteurs for the first time at Lollapalooza. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'll be able to catch any of their other shows on this tour.

P.S. Bring back the White Stripes. :P

I couldn't decide b/t them & the other person at Lolla (is it MMJ or something?), I checked out an album from that band & the Raconteurs & think that I'll see Raconteurs.

Yeah, that conflict really sucks...MMJ are so great live. However, Paul McCartney is probably the only artist on earth who could tear me away from whichever stage Jack White's on. :P