Jason Lytle of Grandaddy

Finally got to see Grandaddy - actually it was Jason Lytle and his friend Rusty Miller - at the Fine Line on Monday. They had a few keyboards and a small casio for a drum-machine and one acoustic guitar between the two of them. The keyboards were set up on an old antique table that Jason bought when he moved to Montana. There was a small lamp in the middle of the table where the setlists were taped. Jason and Rusty would trade places depending on which keyboard Jason was playing. Rusty sang great harmonies and played a bit of percussion, guitar and keyboards, while Jason played mostly on the keyboards and guitar. They also had a canned mic which gave their voice a spacey-vibe. Jason said they were traveling in his Town and Country Van.

So that was their set-up. I don't think the show was very well advertised, because the Fine Line only sold about 50 tickets. The balcony was closed off and there were a bunch of tables on the floor. We sat in the second row of tables about 50 feet from stage. This was a great intimate setting, but kind of sad seeing how these Grandaddy tunes may never be played again and so few people came.

Jason and Rusty sounded great. I really enjoyed myself and I wish they could have played all night. They played for probably between 1 1/2 - 2 hours, but they did not play an encore, even though everyone stayed and cheered for their return. Here are the songs that I can remember them playing in no particular order:

Summer it's Gone

The Go in the Go-For-It

Jed

Chartsengrafs

Jeez Louise

Saddest Vacant Lot

Ghost of 1672

Elevate Myself

Levitz

A Valley Son

Disconnectivity (Jason solo)

They played many more - but that's what I remember off hand. All-in-all, it was a great show. Now I have to finish buying all Grandaddy's albums!

On a side note, Nik Fretus opened and I enjoyed his set too. He played acoustic guitar and piano and sings sad folky songs. I believe he is also a skateboarder.

wow, sad about the attendance...

Grandaddy @ First Ave a few years ago ('03?) was PACKED

i'll be honest in that Jason solo just didn't interest me enough to brave the heat, not to mention i've got way too many other shows this week already

wow, sad about the attendance...

Grandaddy @ First Ave a few years ago ('03?) was PACKED

i'll be honest in that Jason solo just didn't interest me enough to brave the heat, not to mention i've got way too many other shows this week already

To me that is like saying "I love Spoon, but I'm not going to see Britt Daniel solo."

I never got to see Grandaddy, so I jumped at the oppertunity to see Jason. The heat was bad, but only 50 people in the Fine Line and the air conditioning made it tolerable. It was still hot, but not First Ave during Golden Smog hot. In fact, I don't even think I sweat during the show!

well, while he's the obvious brains behind the songs, he as a performer isn't really that engaging all by himself for me (at least from the Grandaddy show i saw...)

i don't think i'd be too interested in seeing Britt solo either myself... but that's for a different reason than Jason sorta

had i not seen Grandaddy i'm sure i'd have gone as well

Where can I find this tour schedule?

Here is all that's left of the tour:

Aug 3 2006 8:00P

Urban Lounge Salt Lake City, UT

Aug 6 2006 8:00P

Harlows Sacramento, CA

Aug 8 2006 8:00P

Cafe Du Nord San Francisco, CA

Aug 9 2006 8:00P

Cafe Du Nord San Francisco, CA

Aug 11 2006 8:00P